Consultant, Business Tax Team, Tax Consulting, Open to flexible working & returners
The tax landscape is undergoing significant change; with changes to tax legislation, increased media focus and scrutiny, technology advancements, and the increasingly global reach of clients, all coming together to shape an exciting and challenging future in the market for tax services.
Our Business Tax practice delivers comprehensive and innovative tax solutions to clients worldwide. Combining a collaborative and practical approach, we ensure that our service delivery is consistent in all jurisdictions, helping businesses to meet their worldwide tax and statutory responsibilities robustly and efficiently, while identifying opportunities that align with the company's risk profile.
Deloitte's corporation tax team has a market leading reputation; bringing together a unique blend of consulting, technology, tax technical and tax reporting experience to help businesses meet the challenges of multi-jurisdictional tax operations, including compliance, reporting, tax technology and tax risk management.
Joining the team in Belfast will give you the opportunity to develop strong relationships with senior tax and finance leaders across a range of industries in the national practice, helping them address their tax management challenges. We can offer a genuinely varied role where you can balance your time on clients in the areas where you want to develop your career.
The team, of over 120 people, is located in both Belfast and Hyderabad (India) is involved in the majority of the corporate tax compliance work which Deloitte undertakes nationally, and the role also offers opportunities in tax reporting, tax audit's services as well as interacting with tax advisory and transactions.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
Our Consultants will have the opportunity to take the lead on delivering key parts of our client services:
- You will use your commercial awareness and professional expertise, along with leveraging the skills and expertise of others, to deliver the best possible experience and outcomes for our clients.
- You might own or manage key elements of a client relationship and, with an appropriate level of support, will be expected to proactively identify innovative solutions for your clients and pursue new business development opportunities by utilising your networks and market knowledge.
- Our Consultants are also either people managers or act as coaches and role models to the Senior Specialists in their team.
- You will be a confident team player and enjoy sharing your knowledge and expertise with others, as well as continuing to build your own technical expertise or specialism.
The team works across a wide range of industries and varying complexities of work covering all aspects of the corporation tax cycle, from gathering information to submitting the returns. We can offer full time and part time office based opportunities, as well as roles that also give the opportunities for extensive travel to client sites across the UK.
You will be responsible for:
- Liaising with clients to plan and agree engagements to meet their UK direct tax obligations in an efficient and timely manner
- Reviewing all complexities of tax returns and tax accounting (where required), ensuring the quality of work is technically accurate and prepared in line with the firm's standard approach.
- In addition, you may be required to prepare complex tax returns and tax accounting from time to time
- Overlaying group information to maximise use of various group allocations, e.g. group relief, group deductions allowance, corporate interest restriction and annual investment allowance
- Working effectively as part of a team to deliver these tax compliance projects
- Advising clients on the impact of recent and proposed legislation as they apply to specific industries and clients
- Using client specific knowledge to identify opportunities for further tax technical projects
- Assisting with the transformation of the annual tax process through process improvement, technology, risk and organisational design
- Planning and managing the implementation of identified technology solutions
- Identifying opportunities in both internal and client processes with the aim of improving and growing services
- Developing and upskilling the team by sharing best practices and insight
- Providing guidance to junior team members on day-to-day issues and to aid their long-term development and growth
- All other corporate compliance related activities as required
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: Your home office will be Belfast, but this client-facing role provides lots of opportunity for travel in the UK and overseas.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time or part-time basis. Our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we'll try to accommodate.
Your professional experience
- Experience of working in a corporate tax compliance role and an understanding of preparation processes
- A high level of corporate tax technical knowledge and skills
- Ability to manage yourself and others effectively
- Proactive approach to work and completing work by required deadlines
- Proven team working skills
- Able to follow defined procedures and protocols
- Competent it skills including a good understanding of Excel
- Previous knowledge of Thomson Reuters ONESOURCE Corporate Tax
- You will ideally be ACA/ATT/CTA qualified
- Exposure to other areas of taxation, e.g. Personal tax, VAT, PAYE
Your service line: Tax Consulting
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it's all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You'll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you'll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It's how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work - and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we're looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application