Bioinformatics (Open to flexible working)
The Gene Domain is one of the several data domains that was set up by the GSK Data CoE last year to streamline the management and governance of gene data use and re-use across R&D. It will serve as a centralized resource of gene data and associated metadata that will be accessible across GSK in a meaningful way and will accelerate discovery and de-risk development of transformational drugs. The scope of the gene domain includes all types of 'omic data from clinical trial samples and non-clinical samples that are internal to GSK, GSK collaborations, and data that has been acquired from the vendors or from the public domain.
As part of our ongoing efforts, we are aiming to simplify and streamline the capture, processing and analyses of 'omic data across GSK by establishing a robust and sustainable E2E solution using a combination of internal (on-prem) and external (cloud-based) data infrastructures.
To realize this goal, we are looking for a passionate and enthusiastic individual who will own and deliver on the strategy for the end to end (E2E) flow of omics data by working closely with people who are involved in the generation, handling and consumption of such data that includes the Data CoE, the Tech organization, different vendors and the business (TAs etc.). It's a very high visibility role that will report directly to the Gene domain lead at GSK.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Closing date for applications: 27th February 2018
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Basic qualifications: This Position Requires a minimum of
- A PhD or equivalent in computational biology or life science with 5+ years in NGS bioinformatics. Experience with molecular biology and previous experience in an industrial, or a professional academic setting is strongly preferred.
Preference will be given to those candidates with the following:
- Proven ability to lead projects
- Strong background and understanding of different NGS technologies including Illumina sequencing, Roche 454 sequencing, Ion torrent and Nanopore
- Strong background and experience in LIMS systems, NGS workflows, Cloud computing and HPC systems
- Strong background in the application of NGS technologies for target and biomarker discovery
- Hands on experience working with diverse 'omic data types including RNA-Seq, DNA-Seq, Chip-Seq, WES, WGS, ATAC-seq, microbiome, proteomic, metabolomic data etc. from different sources
- Familiarity with open source software, bioinformatics tools and languages such as R, Perl, Python, Java, and web development tools
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective communication of complex concepts to stake holders with wide range of expertise.
- Familiarity with the core components of the Hadoop stack-such as HDFS, MapReduce, Flume, Oozie, Hive, Pig, HBase, and YARN and Apache Spark
- Familiarity with data mining and machine learning techniques
- Familiarity with visualization tools and techniques
- Experience with integrative analyses using multi-omic data along with pre-clinical and clinical data to inform drug discovery and development.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in an area where cutting edge science meets cutting edge technology with an aim of delivering drugs to patients in need. Apply today and learn more about Gene Domain's commitment in supporting GSK's efforts of transforming patients' lives with its game changing portfolio.
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.