Consultant to Associate Director, Open to flexible working & returners
Consultant to Associate Director, R&D and Patent Box Incentives, Tax & Legal
The UK government provides tax incentives to businesses developing and exploiting IP generated from their R&D activities; Deloitte’s Innovations taxes team is a market leader in helping clients secure R&D and Patent Box tax incentives and is the most experienced team in the UK.
Continued market success has created new opportunities and we are now looking to recruit candidates with experience in R&D and Patent Box, with a tax technical background to join this successful team.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
As a Consultant to Associate Director you will be in a client-facing role from day 1, utilising your Patent Box and R&D experience and will ideally have some history of corporate tax compliance. You will quickly progress to playing a significant role in leading and delivering our Patent Box and R&D projects, assessing eligibility requirements, drafting methodology documentation and preparing claim calculations across a wide range of market sectors and industries as well as supporting junior team members. You will be working with senior technical and finance staff within our client companies where you will need to understand their R&D profile and IP portfolio, the nature of the income being generated and expenses incurred as well as supporting our clients with developing robust claim methodologies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Analysing the qualifying company requirements for Patent Box and establishing the applicability of the SME and/or Large R&D regimes.
- Analysing technical and cost data from clients to develop robust and efficient Patent Box and R&D claim methodologies including Nexus regime requirements.
- Where required, liaising with our IP specialists to undertake the mapping of patents to income streams.
- Leading the tax technical aspects of the Patent Box and R&D claim process within a project team to ensure that all relevant Patent Box profits and R&D qualifying expenditure are identified.
- Calculating the Nexus Fraction.
- Preparing clear reports for submission to HMRC to explain how our clients’ Patent Box and R&D claims have been prepared. You will attend meetings with HMRC when necessary to respond to tax technical questions and explain the approach adopted.
- Providing industry insight into marketing and sales activity based on your Patent Box and R&D experience, including preparation of fee proposals where appropriate.
- Working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
- Reviewing work prepared by junior team members, ready for Director or Partner review.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: You will have the option to be based at our Reading or Bristol office. This client-facing role provides lots of opportunity for travel in the UK and overseas.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis.
Your professional experience
- Degree level qualified (or equivalent)
- ACA, ATT or CTA qualified (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated capability to lead small project teams, with experience in delivering both to internal and external customers
- A strong communicator, with good interpersonal awareness skills
- The ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams as well as generating high quality documentation
- Proven ability to propose for new work on existing client base and support leadership team in market pursuits.
- Well-organised and able to manage multiple large and complex projects, handling conflicting demands for yourself and team-members in a timely manner
Your service line: Tax Consulting
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice and you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day, how we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set an example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation. We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service, maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application