Consultant/Associate Director, Global Trade Advisory, Open to flexible working & returners
Consultant/Associate Director, Global Trade Advisory, Indirect Tax, Tax, UK Wide
An exciting opportunity to work in Deloitte’s market leading Global Trade team. Deloitte is looking to recruit Associate Directors/Consultants to work within its Global Trade Advisory team, which sits within the Indirect Tax practice and is part of Deloitte’s EMEA wide Centre of Excellence for Global Trade. As an identified super growth area within the firm, joining this team offers a fantastic opportunity for a passionate and dynamic professional to progress their career.
As a Consultant/Associate Director you will manage diverse projects for high profile clients, support exciting new business development opportunities, provide stewardship to develop junior members of the team and expand your horizons as you support businesses respond to topical issues, such as Brexit, and a significantly changed customs landscape, on a UK and global scale. Working in the Global Trade Advisory team you will work collaboratively with other tax and consulting teams, with Deloitte teams based overseas and/or directly on client sites, providing the chance to broaden knowledge and network, globally, on a regular basis.
The Global Trade and broader Indirect Tax team has a reputation for being proactive, entrepreneurial, successful and fun to work in. It is growing at pace, providing an opportunity for the right candidate to progress quickly in a dynamic, fast paced environment, where people are recognised for their contribution and not time served.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The role will expose you to working with some of the largest, most recognisable brands and corporations across the globe. We boast a wealthy, rapidly increasing, portfolio of clients across all industries - from owner-managed businesses to large multinationals, operating within the consumer, industrial products, aerospace, automotive, energy and resources, technology/telecoms, financial services and public service sectors.
As a Consultant/Associate Director you will manage projects that support global clients manage their customs and trade footprint, from advising them on how to navigate the changes in customs and excise legislative requirements, supporting with the implementation of supply chain governance, operation and duty optimisation strategies, to engaging with HMRC to obtain rulings, repayments, authorisations and respond to audits.
You will be expected to work with all grades, which will require you to undertake effective delegation, project planning, consultation and managing timescales so that project deliverables can be completed and signed-off in accordance with Deloitte’s review processes.
Global Trade regulation and requirements, particularly in the post-Brexit environment, are at the forefront of our clients’ agendas and significantly impact their supply chains. As such, as part of the role, you will be required to build up a detailed, practical, understanding of our clients’ business models, what markets they operate in and their future plans in order to provide the right support at the right time, and identify opportunities for further work.
You will also be given access to further development support covering soft skills, advanced technical knowledge and commercial awareness through a programme of regular courses to help you continue to build your professional skills.
As you are given the autonomy to establish your own contacts within a client and reach your own solutions your independence will be accelerated. It is up to you to take this independence and build your own network. Whilst autonomy is encouraged the team network will always be available when you need support and advice.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Working on existing client engagements - Regularly reporting directly to a director or partner and undertaking account management, which includes responsibilities for take-on, delivery, billing and cash collection.
- Drafting and reviewing client advice (reports / memos / telcon advice / email notes of advice), running client workshops, meetings and training sessions
- Assisting with developing less experienced staff with hands on advice and support
- Assisting with deepening relationships with target clients/accounts and contributing to winning new work, including proposals and bid work
- Input into development of new market opportunities locally, nationally and internationally with an opportunity to lead the market development of the new ideas
- Working closely with colleagues in other parts of the firm
- Having a broader perspective of potential issues encountered when managing diverse teams and the strategies to overcome them; having a clear understanding of the firm’s commitment to creating a more inclusive culture.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: We are open to the role being based in any of our UK offices.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Your professional experience
We are looking for someone with the below key experience and attributes:
- Customs experience working either in-house, in practice or at a Tax Authority. Excise experience is desirable but not essential
- A sound technical background in all key areas of customs management and regulation (i.e. classification, valuation, origin and special procedures). A technical background in excise management is desirable but not essential
- A proven record of management attributes and skills including an ability to prioritise; meet deadlines; set clear, achievable, targets; monitor and update on progress; delegate effectively and work well with others
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and inter-personal skills
- The ability to be proactive, identify opportunities and take early responsibility
- Excellent client facing, relationship building and business development skills, coupled with commercial awareness
- Advanced computer skills (in particular excel / PowerPoint / Visio)
Your service line: Tax
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application