Sr. Director, Data Services as Product, Open to flexible working
A key objective for the Data Science and Data Engineering (DSDE) team within GSK's Pharmaceutical R&D organization is achieving the delivery of the right data to the right people at the right time. This requires the design and implementation of data flows and data products which leverage internal and external data assets and tools to drive discovery and development. The team is focused on strong data science and foundational coding skills in all roles to support the fast-paced delivery of data science products for accelerating discovery and development, application of standard machine learning methods, and solving challenging technical problems in multiple domains across R&D.
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Sr. Director to create the vision and strategy and lead a high-performing organization that will be creating high-quality data assets using data from internal and external sources. The leader will address questions supporting key decisions aligned with their respective areas of business and will be personally accountable for the output. This role will require managing multiple challenging customers, prioritizing product backlogs, and senior customer expectation management.
As a Sr. Director, Data Services as Product, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Bring execution leadership, to own a portfolio of integrated high-quality data assets that will be leveraged primarily by computational and data scientists to answer important questions aligned with their respective areas of business in drug discovery and development. This will require deep business knowledge, familiarity with a variety of data types from different sources, and familiarity with informatics approaches to leveraging these data assets.
- Understand key business questions and the data needed to answer those questions; dealing with a complex matrix of stakeholders having different interests in the same data asset; ability to identify key gaps in data for the business to be able to answer their questions and discern opportunities for new data service products to fill those gaps; to look broadly across the portfolio and identify opportunities for synergies and repurposing high-quality data products from one area of the business to another.
- Lead across R&D to ensure product visibility and implementation. Will represent Data Science and Data Services within relevant discussions at LT level Pan R&D to establish and lead the excellence in data product efforts.
- Accountable for a portfolio of high-quality Data Service Products and is personally accountable for the output.
- Able to drive cross-company initiatives and manage risk for the longer term and/or evolving projects or functions.
- Able to lead without authority, driving business objectives through organization and collaboration.
- Able to assess products in a portfolio continuously, getting ahead of and mitigating potential risks and pitfalls.
- The products that the Data Service Product Director charts out should span across different data silos and connect the dots.
- Be a visionary who defines the next generation of digital solutions for data and workflow management to increase efficiency and reduce cycle time.
- An active member of DSDE LT with participation in development and implementation of functional strategy in support of the mission of Data Science and Data Engineering
Competitive candidates will have a proven track record of leading a product team with a broad product portfolio in pharmaceutical drug discovery and development and/or related healthcare space within high-performing teams.
The DSDE team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS in biomedical engineering, Molecular Biology / Genetics, biomedical science, computer science, engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience (or PhD with 8+ years of experience) in the biotech/pharmaceutical/healthcare/diagnostics/health insurance space
- Experience with databases, data science, computational biology, distributed systems in drug discovery and development in the pharmaceutical or healthcare industry
- Programme/product development leadership, and strategy experience
- Proven track record of shipping complex software products
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Known for vision and excellent, rigorous product development leadership
- Extensive experience in applying methods in the omics space to drug discovery, biomarker analysis, well versed in multiple NGS technologies (RNA-seq, WGS, WES, ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, Copy number variation, epigenomics, combining CRISPR readouts with other data, single-cell sequencing, immunophenotyping).
- Demonstrated ability to apply machine learning methods within shipping production deployment of data services
- Experience in building products with modern Data and ML architectures, platforms, and back-end systems
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritization, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organizational transformation.
- Building a resilient organization.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organization and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.