Director, Global Corporate Media Relations, Open to flexible working
GSK is one of Britain's biggest companies and there is considerable media interest as a result. Journalists reporting on business, social/political affairs, health, and science all cover GSK on a daily basis. This reporting directly impacts the reputation of GSK, its shareprice and value, its products and its people, influencing the company's key stakeholders: governments, regulators, investors, analysts, doctors, patients, NGOs and employees.
The Global Corporate Media Relations team are responsible for protecting and strengthening GSK's reputation by managing relationships, newsflow and issues with top-tier national, international print and broadcast media; and global newswires.
The Director, Global Corporate Media Relations will be an expert in this audience (the media) and use their experience and expertise to develop and manage our relationships key media globally across the range of media from financial and health reporters to science and political journalists. This role will develop both proactive strategies to enhance GSK's corporate reputation with this audience while also managing a high volume of newsflow.
This role requires strong communications skills, personal credibility and integrity and business knowledge and acumen. There is a high level of issues management and the role will likely routinely deal with price sensitive information and often operates in pressurised circumstances.
The role is part of the Global Corporate Media Relations team within the Corporate Affairs function of Communications and Government Affairs (CGA) department. This role will have 2 direct reports.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop strong relationships between GSK and top-tier media (eg WSJ, wires, FT) to further understanding of the strategy of the Company and build confidence in the approach. This includes promoting the equity story through development and execution of proactive media communications and being an active spokesperson for this story with key corporate media.
- Produce and deliver proactive strategies around newsflow, but also maintaining interest in these announcements over time with financial media through "content campaigns" (eg, media features, capitalizing on broadcast documentaries) on key areas of the Group.
- Build a network - and manage over time - relationships with senior journalists to enable stories to be landed in line with strategy and issues handled.
- Understand media strategy and communication plans for key corporate events such as quarterly financial results, strategic business updates and Annual General Meeting.
- Be a senior, trusted counsellor on a) the media, b) story generation and c) media handling to members of CGALT, GSK departments and senior executives up to and including the CEO, CFO and Chief Strategy Officer as well as other members of the CET. This includes working closely with these executives, gaining their trust and briefing these executives ahead of media engagements and staffing media engagements.
- Anticipate issues where possible and produce issues management materials for key corporate issues (e.g. remuneration, corporation tax, litigation). Handle out-of-hours calls often in pressurised circumstances. Handle crisis communications in a calm manner applying judgement and being trusted by executives in such situations.
- Handle highly confidential and price sensitive announcements/issues relating to business strategy including working with senior leaders and Corporate Secretariat as needed.
- Works closely with digital communications colleagues to maximise digital reach of announcements across channels and devise appropriate content (video, social media, infographics etc).
- Make a positive contribution to CGA cross functional initiatives and / or team meetings.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Significant experience in communications specifically in multi-stakeholder global companies or organisations, with a specialism in media relations.
- Communications planning & delivery, aligning communications strategy and related campaigns to the drivers of the business and with broader reputation issues
- Proven experience of working in a fast-paced, global + matrix team.
- Track record of global approach and delivering communications with measurable outcomes.
- Strong, dynamic, highly articulate communicator with excellent writing skills, across a wide range of media (including digital)
- Experience juggling several complex issues and topics at once while maintaining exceptional levels of standards and delivery.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Exceptional judgement and ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Exceptional judgement which can be applied in a practical way to proactive and reactive media relations.
- Able to operate flawlessly at senior level - with the required gravitas and experience to gain the confidence of the most senior leaders in the organisation (including CEO, CFO and other members of CET).
- Business acumen - an ability to understand the business and its strategy and where media relations and broader CGA can enhance and protect its work.
- Excellent networker with ability to build trusted relationships and partnerships, working across organisational boundaries in GSK and with key stakeholders outside the company
- Significant levels of personal accountability and integrity which can be demonstrated in their media handling.
- Self motivated and naturally collaborative team player
- Tenacious and persistent with high personal accountability
- Results driven and solutions oriented, with proven programme management skills and focused on delivery to deadlines
- Faultless crisis and issues management competency, with ability to operate calmly and effectively under extreme pressure and deliver communications needs against tight timeframes.
- Appreciation of the full mix of communications and GA - and how they work together to deliver for the business.
- Line management experience which can be used to develop junior colleagues.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE - 11:59pm 15th August 2021
Interviews will take place 20th, 23rd and 24th August.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.