DevOps Engineer, open to flexibility
Insurance & Wealth Transformation is on a journey to build an excellent experience for our Retirement and Investment customers through our newly initiated Value Streams.
Our aim is to build a DevOps capability and culture that will support the business in delivering high quality, efficient and impactful outcomes for customers across the Scottish Widows digital estate.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will be responsible for establishing an enterprise DevOps capability as part of a team which will support visionary micro-service architecture and enable multi-discipline engineering teams to rapidly test and deploy features.
You will be responsible for establishing a DevOps capability and culture, promoting swift iteration, test and release whilst liaising with your technology peers across product, engineering and test to provide a multi-functional suite of services.
You'll automate manual builds and test processes using scripting tools including Python, Bash or PowerShell, build, deploy, run and maintain systems on cloud providers (AWS and/or GCP) and guide application deployment as an active member of the development team.
You will drive infrastructure automation, maintain quality documentation of infrastructure and operation/support procedures whilst operating a scalable, highly-available infrastructure through use of configuration management tools e.g. Chef or Puppet
You will possess the following:
- Previous job experience as a DevOps Engineer
- Expertise with building and maintaining high-availability, high-performance micro-service infrastructure
- Excellent troubleshooting and diagnosis ability across technologies
- An ever-developing knowledge of and interest in technology, particularly state of the art DevOps and infrastructure advances
- Tool/framework-agnostic mindset
- Experience and knowledge of AWS administration, for example IAM, cloud formation, S3, EC2, ElastiCache, DynamoDB
- Strong networking skills with experience of configuring both physical and cloud networking (e.g, DNS/Routing/Load Balancing)
- Deep understanding of automation tools
- Database administration and operation skills (Both SQL and NoSQL)
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional boundaries
- Virtualisation / containerisation - Docker and Kubernetes
- Cloud provision (AWS in particular, but familiarity with Google and Microsoft is key)
- Ideally AWS Certification
In addition, you will have the desire to reduce complexity and look for pragmatic outcome, possess excellent written, communication and interpersonal skills and be a teammate that inspires collaboration.
You will act as an advocate for our product technology and business strategy, be a Self-Starter with a results-driven mind set and have the ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly. You will also have a curious mind and a will to experiment & learn how new technology works
Making you feel valued is important so we offer a highly competitive reward package - based on acting responsibly, and demonstrating our values and ethics. In addition to the salary range quoted this role offers an on target discretionary performance-related bonus, 4% of your salary paid to you in flex cash, 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays), life assurance, private medical care, share schemes and contributory pension contributions as well as the option to use your flex cash to pick from a wide range of benefits including childcare vouchers, holiday trading, matched learning fund, dental plan, retail vouchers and a range of discounted financial and protection products.
Our culture within Insurance brings together smart, talented, people from diverse backgrounds that enjoy a collaborative and creative environment supporting flexible and agile working.
Together we make it possible.