Finance Manager, Part time 2-3 days/wk
Finance Manager, Part time 2-3 days/wk
Reporting to: Executive Director
Liaison with: All members of staff, board, creditors, debtors, funders
Contract period: This post will be offered as a part time post, subject to a 6 month probationary period. This can either be on an employment or freelance basis. It is anticipated the role will work between 2 and 3 days per week.
Usual working hours: 10am – 6pm.
Overall vision of the organisation: The Company is committed to promoting an innovative, diverse and accessible programme of arts-based activities through its theatre, participation and outreach activities. Our activities have Social (Artistic, Education and Community Outreach), Environmental and Business Aims.
We are a registered charity but also a limited company. The turnover is about £1.3 million with income from grants, commercial activity, box office (including touring), Theatre Tax Relief and fundraising.
Main objectives of the post
- To manage and keep under review the organisation and operation of all financial procedures to ensure the efficient and effective use of the company’s finances
- To undertake financial duties to ensure timely payments, accurate record keeping, the timely preparation of accounts and adherence to statutory requirements for a charity and company limited by guarantee.
- To implement and keep under review an effective system of financial control throughout the company
- To take a proactive role in managing the finances of the company to support our growth and development as a financially stable arts organisation.
Sales and Purchase Ledgers
- Process and code invoices, obtain authorisation and arrange timely payments according to procedure.
- Issue sales invoices and chase payments on a monthly basis in accordance with agreed procedures. Keep debtors list to 30 days overdue.
- Enter purchase and sales ledger transactions and other data onto Sage Line 50 accounting package ensuring accurate and timely entries.
- Manage creditors in conjunction with the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer to ensure that payments are made on time.
- Maintain accurate financial records on Sage package.
- Prepare monthly trial balance and reconciliation of nominal accounts
- Prepare monthly management accounts including a balance sheet (on an accruals basis) and budgets for review of the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, the Board Finance subcommittee, and full Board.
- Prepare narrative of accounts for Board to highlight any issues.
- Record payments and prepare excel spreadsheets detailing payments made from project funding for internal verification and cross checking.
- Recharge internal costs to correct departments
- Prepare and monitor the cash flow forecast.
- Update the nominal code headings on a quarterly basis and ensure all transactions are coded correctly.
- Maintain correct and up to date fixed asset register
- Assist the ED and COO in the preparation of documents, reports and files for the annual audit. Provide information to the auditors as required.
Banking and Related
- Enter bank transactions onto Sage, undertake the monthly bank reconciliation and liaise with the bank as required.
- Use online banking system and maximise money in company accounts by using interest bearing accounts and bonds.
- Undertake regular petty cash reconciliations, obtain petty cash from bank and process expense claims according to policy.
Payroll and VAT
- Prepare monthly payroll and make regular payments to HMRC and other agencies as required.
- Reconcile year end PAYE and National Insurance returns and prepare P60s.
- Comply with relevant VAT legislation, record VAT correctly on Sage and ensure timely payment of VAT.
- Ensure the reconciliation of box office receipts from the computerised box office system in conjunction with the Front of House Manager.
- Produce financial and statistical reports and analyses from Sage and other packages as required for funders.
- Contribute to the development of the financial aspects of corporate and strategic long term plans, business plans and budgets and funding applications as required.
- Provide up to date figures for budget holders to assist them manage their budgets.
- Provide financial information and analysis for the Capital project as required.
- Develop and implement financial management procedures with the ED and COO to ensure systems are as accurate and efficient as possible.
- Maintain and update accessible manual filing systems for financial matters and undertake administrative duties generated by the above activities.
- Attend internal and Board meetings as required.
- Develop and maintain excellent communications with staff and centre users and keep them informed of financial issues.
- Work in accordance with the requirements of the company’s Health and Safety Policy.
- Complete annual Corporation Tax return
- Compile thorough return of Theatre Tax Relief of both in house productions, touring productions and co-productions.
- Undertake any other duty or responsibility which may reasonably be requested by the Board of Trustees or Senior Management Team
Jacksons Lane has a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of staff employed within the cultural sector. To this end, all candidates who indicate on the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form they are from a BAME background, and who fulfil every aspect of the Essential Criteria of the Person Specification, is guaranteed an interview.
- This is a part-time position. Evening work and some early mornings may be required. No overtime will be payable, however a TOIL system operates within the organisation. Core office hours are 10am – 6pm, Monday – Friday.
- Probationary Period: the appointment will be subject to the satisfactory completion of the probationary period of 6 months. This may be extended at the discretion of the Board.
- Holidays: 28 days/annum including public holidays. Holiday year is April to March.
- Place of employment: Jacksons Lane, 269a Archway Road, London N6 5AA
- Access for people with disabilities: we will ensure that access requirements are assessed and met, by making reasonable adjustments to the role and the working environment, and by providing equipment and support.
It is a requirement that all staff work in a flexible manner compatible with their jobs and in line with the objectives of Jacksons Lane. Please note that the job description for this position may be reviewed and amended to incorporate the future needs of Jacksons Lane.
To apply please submit your CV and covering letter detailing your suitability for this role along with your salary expectations via the application method below.
Applications will be assessed as they are received, so early application is advised.
Apply for Finance Manager, Part time 2-3 days/wk
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly