Assistant Manager, Financial Services, Audit & Assurance - Homeworking, flexible working, returners
Our financial services audit team is one of the leading practices in the region. Due to recent successes we are looking to recruit individuals to support the delivery of external audit and FCA client asset (CASS) assurance services to our clients. Our external audit clients include FTSE listed entities, foreign and privately owned organisations operating across the life & general insurance, retail banking, asset finance, and wealth management sectors. As part of our successful team you will play an important role in maintaining and growing the practice and developing our people.
Our primary focus is on the delivery of high quality audit engagements. Successful candidates will also have the opportunity to broaden their experience working on a range of other assurance engagements.
Due to the implementation of new accounting standards and other regulations, such as enhanced corporate governance requirements, many of our clients are asking for support from us as they respond to change and embed their new processes. This gives us opportunities for our financial services practitioners to assist our clients in areas such as risk management and governance, FCA client asset (CASS) and safeguarding reporting, credit risk, ESG reporting, and finance transformation, working closely with colleagues who specialise in prudential and conduct regulation, actuarial and risk advisory. In addition, we are seeing increasing demand from large and high profile clients for short and medium term secondments into their finance functions.
The UK financial services market exists within a fast-moving regulatory environment and, coupled with the current audit market reform debate, we expect to see the nature of audit and assurance work continue to evolve into the near future. We plan to be at the leading edge in our delivery of these services to our clients.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
As a member of our team, reporting to our managers, directors and partners, you will:
- Work effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution
- Supervise our field teams to successfully execute audit engagements
- Manage client relationships day to day
- Mentor and coach junior members of our team
- Help to drive our continuous improvement in audit methodology and develop new ways of working through innovation and transformation
- Continue to develop your understanding of your chosen financial services markets and clients and be ready to bring that to other assurance engagements
- Support the development of our practice, potentially through facilitation of internal training courses or staff development
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
You will be based in either our Bristol, Reading or Cardiff office with some domestic travel for client-based projects
This is a permanent contract opportunity.
Your professional experience
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Relevant professional qualification, e.g. ACA, ACCA (or CA, ICAS, CPA or equivalent)
- Experience as an external auditor, ideally working with financial services institutions
- Experience of IFRS and accounting in financial services industries
- Knowledge of external auditing techniques (including risk assessment, audit scoping, devising audit approach, controls testing, substantive testing) and, ideally, experience of using data analytics and other IT assisted audit techniques
- Firm understanding of ethics, independence and client data security
- Strong interpersonal skills, including oral/written communication, and team management
- Experience of managing relationships with client staff in finance and other roles
- Good team playing skills with good organisation, planning and coaching skills
- Highly motivated approach, with a proven ability to work on own initiative within a challenging work environment
The following is desirable but not required:
- Knowledge of your chosen sector (e.g. banking, capital markets, investment management, insurance and / or payments) and how the Client Asset / Safeguarding rules apply to those firms.
- Experience of working with and practical knowledge of the CASS / Safeguarding rules, common breaches and other expected elements of a firm’s control environment, such as governance and oversight and risk and controls frameworks.
- Practical knowledge of the FRC’s Assurance Standard respecting reporting on client assets to the FCA.
Your service line: Audit & Assurance
In an industry best known for looking back, Deloitte looks beyond.
Our Audit & Assurance team understand the most important decisions are the ones we are yet to make. Crafting the future in an informed and clear-sighted way means understanding current conditions, as well as the trends that are shaping tomorrow. That is why we use our expertise in audit to show where things stand now, and to help inform the next step. With the assurance we provide, we help our clients to look ahead with strength and confidence across all of their accounting, regulatory and transaction needs.
Innovation is the key, underpinned by audit quality. You will be joining a diverse team of experts capable of delivering meaningful and durable change for both our clients and our profession.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm.
The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It's how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work - and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we're looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application