Senior Sales Manager - Grocery - National Accounts, Open to flexible working
Diageo was created in 1997 but its business is built on the principles and foundations laid years before by giants of the industry – Arthur Guinness, John Walker, Elizabeth Cumming and many more. Today, Diageo is a world class leader in beverage alcohol, producing an outstanding collection of over 200 brands and owning the top two largest spirit brands in the world, Johnnie Walker and Smirnoff and 20 of the world’s top 100 spirit brands. Its portfolio also includes Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan’s and Windsor Whiskies, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo has built a strong platform for growth – through investment in its own brands, and by acquisition to broaden the geographical footprint and category depth and range. The company’s strong local business units are well-positioned to win in increasingly competitive and fast-paced environments. Diageo’s portfolio is well-diversified across price-tiers, enabling it to participate where consumer opportunity is greatest, and to capture shifts in consumer preference.
Diageo's culture is built and maintained by the five values that underpin its business and guide how Diageo works. At Diageo, employees are passionate about its customers and consumers and want to be the best. They give each other the freedom to succeed and value each other. Employees work hard so they can be proud of what they do and how they do it. While Diageo moves at pace, constantly evolving and improving, its values remain consistent. Diageo wants that employees live these values every day, everywhere so that Diageo can be proud of what they do and be the best that they can be.
- Demonstrating excellent commercial acumen to manage the external relationships and orchestrate the internal business in support of the delivery of the Diageo AOP and our customer agreements
- Appling a creative mind-set to challenge current WOW, setting new strategies that will deliver the best possible outcomes for Diageo, our Customers and Consumers
- Becoming an expert within the relevant channel (Wholesale/Grocery); knowing what drives our customers behaviour and how we unlock opportunities to deliver joint value
- Leading the BPM business reporting internally in order to track commercial performance monthly against the AOP, course correcting where necessary, and driving the external trading agenda
- Demonstrating strong networking & relationship-building with our customers, MFST, field teams and internal stakeholders, to ensure that our execution ambition is fulfilled (being able to inspire and hold tension when needed)
- Developing talent & making a difference to the careers of future leaders
- Leading large scale and complex contractual customer negotiations (understanding of how negotiations are structured and joint business plan are developed)
- Deliver margin enhancing growth in the P&L & market share objectives through driving super-charged performance within your team
- Develop world class RTM relationships (where applicable) with the relevant senior directors and stakeholders
- Drive team to become the supplier of choice, via excellent customer management and powerful relationships with priority customers and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that all the chosen brand consumer campaigns are brilliantly executed across the customer base
- Operating as a key leader in the wider Sales team, sharing best practice and helping to embed a culture of coaching and development that improves our commercial capability standards
- Work effectively with the Head of Category & Field Sales teams to align and then deliver the strategic plan for the Off/On Trade channel.
Diageo Leadership standard
Win through Execution
- Sets and pursues direction without guidance and takes a wide view of their accountabilities
- High energy and ambition to achieve successful outcomes and high standards
- Balances analysis and execution and adjusts thinking in the face of new information
- Actively spots opportunities or issues and identifies which are urgent and important
- Generates a range of workable solutions, decides what should be done and takes action
Shape the Future
- Sees the big picture and possibility from multiple angles and through a creative lens
- Frames issues in a way that creates clarity and incorporates others' best thinking
- Accurately digests large amounts of information and breaks down complex problems thoroughly
- Challenges themselves and others to take on new or unfamiliar tasks and ways of working
Inspire through Purpose
- Finds broader meaning in their work and aspires to make a significant difference
- Reads their environment and understands how culture and context influences people's perspectives
- Is actively aware of the impact they have on others and tunes in to the needs of individuals around them
- Communicates in a compelling, persuasive and impactful way
- Draws on a variety of influencing styles to engage different audiences
Invest in Talent
- Displays confidence in their ability to meet challenges and succeed
- Maintains belief and optimism and bounces back quickly from setbacks or failures
- Demonstrates a realistic and thoughtful awareness of their own capabilities
- Proactively seeks feedback and development for growth and takes action
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is, in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.
Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, flexible location. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.