Assistant Manager, Strategic Programme Manager, Open to flexible working & returners
Assistant Manager, Strategic Programme Manager, Global Investment and Innovation Services (Gi3)
The Gi3 Strategic Programme Manager will play a key role in supporting the Gi3 group to build out a £25m business over the next 3-4 years, working with leadership in Gi3 to drive the development of the team and its propositions across the firm.
In most countries and industry sectors an elaborate system of financial incentives is available to fuel R&D, innovation, and other business investments. These incentives are available for both domestic investments and growth opportunities abroad. This multitude of opportunities becomes more complex as each country, local and regional governments have the authority to design and fund incentives of their own. Gi3 helps businesses identify, understand, and prioritise the right incentives for their organisation. The Deloitte Global Investment and Innovation Incentives (Gi3) practitioners work with clients to pursue and execute the right incentives strategy.
Gi3 is part of the larger Tax and Legal practice, which has a highly ambitious growth and transformation agenda, underpinned by a number of priority strategic projects and initiatives.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh their knowledge and skills and help them transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
This is an in-house role advising Deloitte’s Gi3 leadership. You will work directly with the leadership and partners within Gi3 and take responsibility for delivering the market and operational priorities. There will be many learning opportunities and you will see the longer-term impact of your work on the shape and success of this offering and the wider business.
As the Strategic Programme Manager you will use your commercial awareness and professional expertise, whilst also leveraging the skills and expertise of others, to help execute the group’s key strategic priorities. You will be expected to lead the planning, development and execution of the strategy, working closely with the senior stakeholders in the business to ensure activity is coordinated and integrated. The role reports into the Gi3 leadership team.
- Lead, monitor and report on strategic priorities - programme milestones, progress, risks, issues and benefit realisation (escalating and recommending corrective actions where necessary);
- Support the development and socialisation of the sales and pipeline tracking and management process;
- Manage the communication strategy with the team to ensure they have clear objectives and expectations from strategic priorities;
- Oversee the operational priorities that the team has set and hold the team accountable for delivery against those priorities;
- Ad hoc project work on initiatives to support the Gi3 Leadership, which may include market campaigns;
- Gi3 performance reporting and analysis to provide our Business Tax leadership with the information they need to make strategic decisions about the health and growth of our business. Ensure there is appropriate co-ordination and alignment with Business Tax leadership;
- Oversee and direct all Gi3 Partner meetings and communications, including logistics, agenda and content. Manage the agenda and follow up actions from the Partner and Director meetings;
- Support the development and buildout of the talent strategy, including career pathways, learning, training and development - including general organisation and coordination of the talent team and our pillars (i.e. across recruitment, tech training, development, wellbeing, diversity & inclusion and performance management);
- Carry out frequent surveys to allow leadership to better understand the needs of the team and gathering upward feedback.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We encourage consideration of agile ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss it with us.
Location: You will be based in a Deloitte Leeds office, however, occasional travel may be required to regional offices, particularly London.
Work pattern: This is a full-time role, with a degree of flexibility, initially for 12 months. Our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we will try to accommodate.
Your professional experience
- Comfortable with creating structure to meet objectives in a sometimes ambiguous environment, with limited information, and to do so with the right strategic context. The ability to multi-task and deliver on several projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, high-visibility setting. A high-degree of endurance, responsiveness, resilience and flexibility is required to work through multiple iterations of deliverables and quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Technically strong project and time management skills are critical as well as the ability to work independently under pressure and on multiple projects while maintaining ‘best-in-class’ deliverables. Capable on Microsoft Office, strong attention to detail.
- Strong team player and culturally sensitive, working well with others to get things done.
- Ability to quickly understand our business and what makes our people tick to enable the production of engaging, inspiring communications to support strategic business and operational goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build solid relationships and gain credibility with senior partners. Experience of influencing, negotiating with, and providing challenge to, senior stakeholders.
- Confidence to stand firm and say no when needed, while remaining diplomatic and driving the team towards a consensus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to navigate a global, matrixed, and virtual work environment involving a diverse group of professionals.
Your service line: Enabling Functions
At Deloitte, we are all about making an impact that matters, together and nowhere is this more apparent than among our 2,000-strong Enabling Functions teams. With our combined specialist skills and business partnering expertise, we provide all the essential strategy, support and advice our client-facing colleagues need, right across the firm. This enables them to focus all of their efforts on delivering the best service possible to their clients. So not only will you be providing world-class support to our internal clients, you’ll be making an impact for all the hugely influential organisations Deloitte works with too. Covering all our distinct areas; Human Resources, Clients & Industries, Finance & Legal, Central Business Services, National Quality & Risk Management, Technology & Digital Services, and Real Estate, the opportunities here are vast. And what’s more, you can grow your career in whatever direction you choose. We’ll support you all the way.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size; it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem-solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application