Research and Support Officer – (Liberal Democrat Group), Part time, job share, flexible working
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Liberal Democrat Group of the London Assembly as a Research and Support Officer.
The London Assembly scrutinises the work of the Mayor across the policy areas of transport, housing, environment, policing, health, the economy, planning and regeneration, fire and emergency planning, and the Mayor’s multi-billion pound budget, and applications are invited from candidates with experience in one or more of these areas.
You will work across a range of policy topics, including transport, the environment and the economy. This role works closely with the Senior Press and Coordination Officer, Senior Researcher, fellow Research and Support Officer, and two elected politicians in a dynamic, friendly team. Your work will include managing the diary of one Assembly Member, undertaking research, as well as providing policy briefings, drafting questions to the Mayor, liaising with the public and external organisations, managing correspondence and casework supporting general office administration organising meetings and writing clear communications material for a range of audiences including social media content. The work is fast moving and varied.
The diary management, inbox, social media and admin tasks will be primarily focused on supporting one of the two
The research, briefings and policy responses support will be in the Transport, Environment and Economy Committee areas.
You will be joining the team at a pivotal time when the London Assembly will be preparing to relocate to The Crystal, whilst implementing its ambitious work programme in the first year of this Mayoral and Assembly term.
Reporting to: Principal Committee Manager
- To provide core research and policy briefings, advice and support to the Assembly Member(s) across the range of their GLA functions.
- To provide pro-active public affairs support to the Assembly Member(s), including producing policy or constituency issue reports to publication standard.
- To act as the first point of contact for the allocated Assembly Member(s) for all people within and without the organisation, managing their diary, representing the views and interests of the Member(s) in an effective and professional manner, and dealing with a wide range of internal and external people and organisations.
- To manage all correspondence (including electronic) and casework received by the Member concerned as required.
- To support the allocated Assembly Member with their social media content.
- To take primary responsibility for the co-ordination of the given Assembly Member(s) work for Assembly meetings (such as the submission of questions for Mayor’s Question Time, and motions), in liaison with the Senior Press and Coordination Officer and other colleagues.
- To act and manage resources allocated to the job in accordance with the Authority’s policies and Code of Ethics and Standards; to realise the benefits of London’s diversity by promoting and enabling equality of opportunities and promoting the diverse needs and aspirations of London’s communities; to realise the benefits of a flexible approach to work in undertaking the duties and responsibilities of this job, participating in multi-discipline cross departmental and organisational groups and task teams.
This role will initially be based at City Hall. The Mayor has announced that City Hall will be relocating from More London (London Bridge) to the Crystal Building in the Royal Docks. This role will be based at The Crystal Building (from January 2022).
London's diversity is its biggest asset and we strive to ensure our workforce reflects London's diversity at all levels. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We would welcome applications from candidates who are seeking part time work as this role is open to job share.
In addition to a good salary package, we offer an attractive range of benefits including 30 days’ annual leave, interest free season ticket loan, interest free bicycle loan and a career average pension scheme.
Please note we do not accept CV’s for this role. All applications for this vacancy must be submitted via our online recruitment system. To apply and to view a copy of the Job Description and Person specification, please click "Apply".