Investment Director, open to flexible working, some homeworking and job share arrangements
Investment Director – Maternity cover (12 months)
Accountable to: Senior Director, Head of Portfolio
Overall Purpose of the Role:
In September 2021, Big Society Capital launched its new 2025 strategy to scale social impact investment and improve peoples’ lives in the UK. We are doubling down efforts in areas where we know social impact investment can have a significant impact. As well as scaling what works, we will continue to support innovation; working with partners to identify new business models or finance structures with potential to deliver impact at scale in the future.
This is an exciting time to join the team on a fixed-term or secondment basis, as we operationalise our strategy and set in place the mechanisms to track our progress. The successful candidate for this role will have the opportunity to shape and deliver a core part of our strategy through our innovation work and to play an active role in supporting BSC’s wider strategy development and business planning.
The position will sit within the Investment team, with two primary purposes:
1. To lead our innovation programme of work within the investment team, working closely with the small cross-organisational innovation team and the Head of Origination
2. To support on BSC’s corporate strategy and business planning, working closely with the Head of Portfolio management and Chief Executive Officer
You will be responsible for:
- Acting as the investment team lead for our innovation work, working alongside the innovation team to shape and execute our innovation strategy. Building and leveraging key partnerships internally and externally to support this.
- Working with the innovation and investment team to scope out, plan and execute the 2022 Call for Ideas, an open call for new social impact ideas with potential to scale
- Supporting 3 – 5 high-potential ideas in our innovation funnel, including providing guidance and support for ideas and bringing in other BSC team members as required
- Developing a plan for sharing innovation insight and learning, including insights from BSC’s portfolio on supporting innovation to scale and relevant external insights to support our wider innovation work
- Towards the end of 2022, reviewing progress against our innovate strategy and feeding into the business planning process for 2023
- Working with market system leads and investment process lead to shape our innovation investment allocation for 2023
- Shaping and running the Quarterly Innovation champions meetings
- Reviewing quarterly innovation KPIs to track progress
Strategy and business planning
- Facilitating and co-ordinating the annual business planning process, working closely with all teams across the organisation; drafting content for the 2023 business plan
- Supporting cross-team development of KPIs to monitor progress against our 2025 strategy and goals
- Where required, supporting on key projects to support operational delivery of our strategy
- Preparing materials for the BSC Board, working closely with the Head of Portfolio Management and Chief Executive Officer
Skills, abilities and attributes
- Structured thinker - able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
- Problem solving - innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
- Relationship management – excellent interpersonal skills and able to build relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Collegial team player - flexible and willing to work with and contribute to a team
- Self-starter - able to work under own initiative and source new opportunities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Hunger for continued learning and development, including developing others
- A passion and demonstrable commitment to improving lives in the UK
- Experience of detailed analysis and decision making
- A strong background in analysis in either the private, social or public sector (e.g. strategy consulting, venture capital or investment banking)
- Understanding and/or experience of corporate strategy and business planning processes
- Understanding and/or experience of how to support innovation in an organisation, including innovation processes or methods
- Experience in Social Impact Investing
- Experience in financial analysis
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Contract: This is a full-time, 12 month fixed-term role (suitable for a secondment) – open to flexible working or job-share options
• Location: We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
• Salary: £63,000- £72,250 (depending on experience)
• Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence.
Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you.
If you have a disability and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch
• Right to Work in the UK: for candidates who require a visa to work in the UK, we consider sponsoring applications
Please click "Apply" to make your application. Closing at midday Monday 18 October 2021
Interviews will be held in late October/ early November 2021