Head, Business Transformation Office, R&D Operations, Open to flexible working
The Business Transformation Office (BTO) must turbocharge what is most critical to R&D’s success – moving with pace to progress the best opportunities. The purpose of this role is to bring focus and expert resources to support high impact non-pipeline projects such that business initiatives are successfully delivered and implemented to drive transformational change to R&D and enable our strategy of top quartile performance.
Reporting to the VP, Head, R&D Operations the BTO Head is a significant leadership role within R&D, accountable for leading the development and deployment of a team of skilled Change, Program and Project Directors and Managers. The Head must direct internally and externally sourced personnel according to rigorous project diagnosis, driving clear focus and prioritisation across the portfolio of business projects that BTO support. Allocation of capabilities must be meticulously matched based on thorough needs assessment in order to deliver optimal outcomes. Ruthless prioritisation and focus are essential to the BTO’s success.
The role must ensure an overarching view of all projects in flight is developed and maintained and that prioritization is supported by transparent rationale. Driving discipline and high standards, the team’s performance will be tracked and monitored and actively communicated. Business connectivity, collegiality and the skill to cultivate true collaboration from senior stakeholders are critical underpins of this role.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Accountable for leading the Business Transformation Office, including the development and deployment of a team of skilled Program, Project and Change specialists that are deployed to successfully diagnose, design and deliver strategic non-pipeline business change or operational improvement RDLT (R&D Executive Team) sponsored projects.
- Design and deliver a capability that maintains an overarching view of all projects in flight and balances prioritization of different efforts, remaining focused on enabling R&D to achieve top quartile performance in line with our Future Ready ambition
- Partner with the Governance and Strategy teams and Chief of Staff to anticipate future business needs and ensure that the BTO programs support the prioritized portfolio and Future Ready ambition
- Build high caliber program, project management and change management capability; source, attract and retain top talent from inside and outside GSK - establish a culture of purpose driven performance.
- Be fully knowledgeable and conversant with all projects to predict issues and manage interdependencies across the projects.
- Collaborate with the best external innovation and specialist support where that makes sense and seek radical leaps as well as increments of progress; inject fresh thinking to improve how things are accomplished
- Develop high performing standard approaches that lead to a reputation for outstanding quality, speed, rigor and follow-through
- Provide regular communication to stakeholders on project progression and impact of this business transformation function; constantly assessing and challenging projects prioritization within the portfolio of projects with stakeholders ensuring that we are optimizing for the enterprise.
- Develop a series of standard approaches that gives the team the flexibility to be efficiently deployed on a variety of business problems with the benefit of the learnings from previous deployments.
- Effectively forecast future demands and ensure that resource allocation is made with this in mind such that focus is not lost nor effort diluted
- This is a role which must be able to deal with high levels of complexity and ambiguity, as well as be able to effectively navigate through multiple stakeholders and their perspectives.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Masters Degree in scientific or business discipline together with substantial industry experience
- Leadership (people and business) at global level in pharma R&D
- Industry experience with at least two of the following key areas: Line and Matrix Management including people development, Business Operations, Project and Programme Management, Change Management, Performance Management, Resource Management, Consulting, Risk Management, Strategy Development
- Demonstrated leadership of complex change projects with significant organizational impact
- Experience in biopharma Organizational Excellence and Development project and change management (both line management and matrix management experience preferred)
- Proven track record leading the delivery of multiple projects/assignments to demanding deadlines with minimal direction/oversight
- Consulting/advisory experience at senior management level (e.g., through strategy or change initiative roles in industry, or in a professional services organization)
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- MBA or PhD with 5+ years in pharma consulting, pharma operations, or R&D
- Proven strategic & innovative thinking capability
- Significant business acumen
- Lead transformational change
- Portfolio-level project planning and management
- Leadership of large-scale complex change
- Program and project management
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it’s about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.