Senior Director - Computational Biology in Oncology, Open to flexible working
- Contract Type
Are you energized by a global R&D oncology leadership role that requires strategic thinking, driving real change and extensive internal and external engagement? If so, this Computational Biology Senior Director (Oncology) role for GSK could be an exciting opportunity for you to explore.
GSK’s ambition is to become the industry leader in genetically validated targets. A dedicated organization, Human Genetics and Computational Biology (HGCB) has been created to achieve this, harnessing recent scientific advancements with a focus on human-derived data and leveraging external partnerships to translate genetic information to high quality targets, ultimately leading to better medicines with reduced attrition.
This leadership role in the Computational Biology (CB) organization, reporting to the VP, Computational Biology, will have strategic and operational responsibility for an organization specializing in developing methodology to increase GSK’s understanding and knowledge across computational biology and genomics in oncology, to drive and accelerate the R&D pipeline.
In this exciting role, you will get the opportunity to:
- Have single point accountability for developing methodologies to increase GSK’s understanding and knowledge in computational biology in oncology to drive and accelerate the R&D pipeline.
- Lead a computational biology and genomics group focused on oncology
- Coordinate oncology comp bio across R&D
- Liaise with other oncology activities in HGCB
- Lead the development of new Computational Biology methods and implementation of existing ones to create relevant oncology computational pipelines
- Provide strategic leadership in areas of oncogenomics
- Work with AIML and relevant Research Units to help deliver the GSK oncology strategy
- Be a member of the CB Leadership Team and help the strategic development of CB
- Contribute strategic leadership in areas of CB and HGCB overall
- Lead several small teams working on oncology CB
To be successful in this business-critical role you will require:
- PhD or MD in Computational Biology or Genomics
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of cancer biology and progression.
- Solid experience of leading and developing research teams
- Ability to manage budgets and resources.
- Track record of influencing senior management for resource or financial allocation.
- Superior communication skills to have honest, truth seeking conversations, rather than being progression seeking.
- Building trust and teamwork. Use empathetic listening and conflict management resolution skills to show team members how the enterprise goals align with their own interests.
- Ability to work routinely across boundaries and establish cross functional matrix groups.
- Ability to coach/mentor, develop and performance manage staff.
- Exhibits strong IPTc behaviours and expectations.
- Strong external profile and key opinion leadership.
We are a FTSE100 Science-Led Healthcare Company. We research, develop and manufacture a broad range of innovative medicines and vaccines. Our purpose is to help people do more, feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it’s about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.