Legal Counsel, Open to flexible working
Changes in its legal team has meant that it is seeking a commercial lawyer to support its UK and Ireland pharmaceutical businesses (“UK Pharma”).
You will be based in the global headquarters in Brentford, Middlesex and report to the Legal Director for UK & Ireland Pharma. You will work alongside the above country European lawyers.
You will work closely with motivated and collaborative clients, who want to hear your analysis and advice on projects from concept, through planning to execution. The Legal team is focused on adding value to the business by advising on, and providing solutions to, legal risks and issues. We are not required to review promotional materials.
You will need to have a keen interest in understanding GSK’s business and how it can be successful within complex and dynamic commercial and regulatory environments.
You need to have experience of dealing with numerous types of contracts, including the negotiation and drafting of complex agreements. Experience of clinical trials agreements would be helpful but is not a pre-requisite.
You will either already have a sound understanding of the key principles of competition law, data privacy, advertising and promotion of medicines and public procurement or be ready to develop these quickly.
The lawyers supporting UK Pharma advise on (amongst other things): the pricing of medicines; the implementation at a local level of global or regional corporate transactions; innovative ways to support and work with GSK’s NHS customers; the use of digital channels to communicate to, and work with, GSK’s stakeholders; and the local operating companies’ supply chain. We also assist the Compliance and Medical teams with the implementation of corporate policies and governance measures, including the ABPI Code of Practice.
We need to interact proactively with other teams within GSK’s Legal group based in the HQ and elsewhere, especially the lawyers leading corporate transactions and those supporting other GSK business units, such as the ViiV Healthcare joint venture, R&D, Vaccines, Consumer Healthcare and Manufacturing.
- University degree qualification or equivalent
- Qualified legal practitioner admitted to practice law in England and Wales with a current practising certificate or a qualified foreign lawyer who can be admitted to practise in England and Wales via the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme Assessment (passing this assessment within a prescribed timeline will be a condition of any recruitment).
- Working knowledge of ABPI code
- Sound understanding of commercial, contract, data protection, competition, advertising and promotion of medicines and public procurement law – or a willingness and ability to develop these quickly.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to translate complex technical legal issues into plain English which can be understood by business clients. Strong commercial acumen and pragmatism.
- Experienced in negotiating commercial contracts, with excellent drafting skills.
- Ability to interact effectively and confidently with all levels of seniority and with third parties.
- Ability to assess business priorities in order to manage workload appropriately.
- In-house experience of a pharmaceuticals business and/or knowledge of laws and regulations governing the sale and marketing of medicines will be an advantage; candidates without this but with relevant other experience are encouraged to apply and will be carefully considered. This knowledge could also be gained in private practice.
- Digital and data privacy expertise.
GSK is a place where outstanding people do amazing things. As a science-led global healthcare company, we exist to help people do more, feel better, live longer. This special purpose – along with our goal of being one of the world’s most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies – helps us attract some of the best and brightest minds in the world.
We take pride in providing access to all and continually focus on our opportunity and obligation to do more to improve inclusion and diversity: for our people inside GSK; in the way we do business; and in the communities where we operate.
We want our company to be a place where diversity of people and thought is valued everywhere and where we’re all able to be ourselves and feel a sense of belonging. An inclusive organization where we all feel valued, engaged and supported, knowing that our work makes an important contribution to our mission. Reinforced by our clear values and expectations, it is part of our DNA. Together we achieve extraordinary things for our patients and consumers, who rely on us each and every day.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.