Global Disrupt Innovation Director, Open to flexible working
From Arthur Guinness to Johnnie Walker, our business was founded on people of great character, and in 250 years, nothing’s changed. We’re the world’s leading premium alcohol company. Our brands are industry icons. And our success is thanks to the strength of our people, in every role. It’s why we trust them with our legacy. And it’s why we reward them with the career-defining opportunities that they deserve.
Our ambition is to create the best performing, most trusted and respected Consumer Products Company in the world. To achieve these, we need the world’s very best people.
Feel inspired? Then this may be the opportunity for you.
About the function:
Innovation works across 3 Planning Horizons. The Disrupt team, along with R&D, focus predominantly on the Third Horizon – seeking consumer led opportunities that i) fit with the strategic ambitions of Diageo, and ii) offer potential for transformation growth through new products, technologies and business models.
The Disrupt function is global and “central” in its design to both complement and link to the market-facing cross-functional Innovation teams that deliver the Horizon 1 pipelines. The Disrupt team (1) Identifies the biggest strategic breakthroughs, based on a deep understanding of foresight and key consumer shifts required to step change Diageo’s competitive position in its critical markets, categories and channels (e-com, D2C), (2) Generates multiple solutions that can be tested to create an effective pipeline of opportunities, (3) Integrates innovation across bottles, packs and liquid with technology and digital to create enhaced consumer and customer experience and (4) Leads the organisation in creating the conditions for disruptive innovation to exist, be tested and nurtured
For Diageo to be successful in this area, there are solutions required to run a highly agile and entrepreneurial unit within a scale business. The level of change in processes and leadership will pose significant challenges and be a large part of the role alongside the ability to create and nurture new ideas.
About the role:
This role is Global in scope and the financial ambition is to deliver growth at +30% for the next 3 years. Disrupt is accountable for testing and delivering 6 projects across key markets, with a focus on Europe, North America and China.
The Disrupt Innovation Director is directly responsible for £Xm in OIE spend and a direct team of ~10 to develop and test ideas. Defining and deciding where to allocate that spend in an ambiguous and demanding landscape will be key. Effective partnership with Planning/Futures, Group Strategy, CODE (Digital) as well as R&D and Supply and the right external connections will be critical to success. In this way, this team works with new products, technologies and business issues/opportunities to identify big consumer-centric ideas.
Markets in scope have differing high degrees of complexity (eg US three tier system presents considerable challenge to disruptive business models). This role will need to navigate organisational and commercial complexity while also laying down new ways of operating and implications.
- Lead the development of the “Disrupt” pipeline globally. Identifying strategic breakthrough areas and establishing a pipeline of products, technologies, partnerships or initiatives that respond to category challenges, consumer behaviour changes and changes to purchasing habits
- To embed new ways of working, bringing a “test and learn” approach to everything to ensure the right, potentially transformational ideas are iterated and advanced. This will create a new capability, discipline and competitive advantage for Diageo. Specifically, while managing extremely complex and challenging projects through multiple hurdles (New Supply, New RTC, R&D, etc) codifying processes and behaviours that live on in the organisation for subsequent projects
- To create a dynamic and entrepreneurial growth engine for Diageo that deftly balances consumer-first thinking with a long term eye on the biggest strategic growth opportunities (eg Disruptive Forces) to unlock growth.
Key business partners include; (1) Global Innovation (Innovation GM, Regional Innovation GMs, R&D Director), (2) Global Exec (specifically, CMO, CSO and key Presidents), (3) Global Supply (ISC Director, Global Beer Opex Director, Technical and Brand Change Director)
- Proven track record of leadership roles within innovation and/or building brands/new businesses
- A mix of relevant experience working in Corporate and Start ups would be ideal
- You will have a Creative flair with an entrepreneurial mindset
- An ability to bring the future to today’s world and roadmap actions to make it happen (within a commercial context and including organisational change)
- Able to reframe and turn possibilities in to commercial reality within a complex environment
- Strong relationship building and alignment skills. Resilience combined with emotional intelligence to build collaborative and powerful relationships
- Strong drive, delivery and determination
- An individual who has the ability to influence across senior levels in the Innovation, Marketing and Commercial communities and create alignment within cross-functional teams.
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is, in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.
Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, flexible location. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.
#Character Is Everything