Finance Director, Part time 2 days per week - some homeworking available
We are working with our client – an independent publishing house – to recruit a Finance Director to lead the finance function as well as providing financial and commercial guidance to the Senior Leadership Team.
Reporting directly into the Director and with line management responsibility for one full time and one part-time team member, the main objective of the role is to ensure that the business is as efficient and cost effective as possible. You will be responsible for giving sound advice and intelligent analysis in order to drive strategic decision making as well as assessing the risks and potential benefits of new initiatives.
In addition, you will take responsibility for ensuring that the finance function has appropriate controls and processes and for compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Managing the effective operation of the finance function.
- Overseeing the preparation of the budget, and reviewing regular management accounts and accompanying narrative - ensuring that management accounts are accurate and timely.
- Working with with the Finance Manager on the annual audit, with particular responsibility for assessing the accuracy of provisions for advances and stock held.
- Taking accountability for the provision of statutory accounts, year-end processes and tax matters including the review of tax practices in line with changes to ensure on-going compliance.
- Leading on ad hoc projects including review of the performance of individual titles.
- Cost control reviews and support on initiatives to maximise income – bringing financial expertise as well as business intelligence.
- Attending monthly finance meetings in order to lead a detailed review of the accounts.
- Advising on new systems initiatives including possible upgrades.
- You are a qualified accountant with substantial industry experience – experience within publishing or a related field would be a distinct advantage as would prior experience of international trading of goods and services.
- You are an excellent communicator who is skilled at explaining figures to a literary audience and providing a financial summary which contributes to strategic decision making with clear actions to improve the business.
- As you will be part of a small finance team, you need to be able to balance excellent attention to detail with the ability to stand back and assess the bigger picture.
- You have line management experience and are skilled at getting the best out of the people around you.
This is an opportunity to take operational responsibility and provide strategic support within an interesting and stimulating environment.
Flexibility: 2 days per week. Mainly office based but with the ability for occasional remote working.
Location: Central / West London
Salary: circa £70 – £90k FTE + benefits