Assistant Manager, Projects – Milton Keynes or Cardiff (FTC-12 months) (open to flexible working)
We are looking for a confident and pro-active project manager who can rapidly grasp the key aspects of a business challenge and lead a project to deliver positive change. You will have the opportunity to build and sustain productive relationships across functions and all levels of the organisation, managing conflicting priorities, risks and issues to achieve service improvements.
The Projects & Operational Excellence team within the Shared Services Organisation (SSO) exists to meet the demand for project and process improvement support across Shared Services teams. The primary function of the Assistant Manager, Projects will be to manage the delivery of one or more projects (depending on scale and complexity), from feasibility and initiation through delivery to closure, ensuring they are consistent with SSO strategy, follow best practice techniques and deliver the expected benefits. The role also involves representing the SSO on projects being led by other parts of the business (e.g. IT) whose deliverables have implications for SSO services. The Projects & Operational Excellence team is based in Milton Keynes and Cardiff and is part of the SSO, which has operations in Milton Keynes, Cardiff and London and in Hyderabad, India. The SSO operates a range of back office support processes, including Finance and HR transactional processes, Pensions administration and provides Service Desk support (IT, Finance, HR, etc.) for the UK and Swiss firms comprising 18,000 partners and staff across 23 UK and 7 Swiss offices.
Your work, your choice
How long does impact take? How long is a piece of string? How many seconds does a solution contain? How can we possibly tell? After all, impact can be huge or small. Immediate or years in the making. At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. If the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated below, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
Milton Keynes or Cardiff
9am to 5:30pm, 12 months Fixed Term Contract
With work from home available.
Your professional experience
- Project management and change management knowledge and experience (relevant qualifications such as Prince2 may be an advantage)
- Knowledge and experience of applying process improvement techniques (such as Lean Six Sigma), ideally in the context of centralised business services
- A proactive self-starter, assuming accountability and happy working largely autonomously to plan and deliver to achieve objectives
- Confident and credible in engaging and building effective relationships with senior stakeholders, yet able to flex style to work with all levels of an organisation
- Able to challenge sensitively and influence others’ thinking, actively promoting change
- Can multi-task, managing concurrent projects/activities and balancing conflicting priorities
- A problem solver, able to rapidly grasp a range of issues, analyse and suggest practical solutions
- Actively seeks to understand internal client business drivers
- Evidence of effective team working
- Promotes an open and supportive culture, valuing innovation and the ideas and opinions of others
- Experience of the core Microsoft Office packages is essential.
Proactive management of projects within SSO, involving a wide range of project management and process analysis activities throughout the project lifecycle, including:
- Feasibility assessment and business case development for process improvement opportunities: working with business stakeholders to understand business challenges, objectives and potential benefits
- Process analysis (workshop facilitation, process capture and analysis) applying Lean Six Sigma thinking to scope and refine process improvement opportunities
- Work with operational management to specify and document business requirements
- Carry out planning to develop appropriately detailed plans for the project(s) and/or each stage/workstream, identifying activities, tasks, dependencies, resource requirements and milestones 2
- Effective running of key project meetings: progress monitoring and reporting; decisions/actions capture and tracking
- Manage progress and budget against plan, identifying and managing deviations in plan and risk/issue escalations to achieve stated project benefits
- Carry out project closedown activities, including transition to business-as-usual operations, review and handover of any benefits realisation plans
- Updating SSO project logs on EPM (the Enterprise Project Management site)
- Administering change control processes where applicable
- Stakeholder management: liaising with stakeholders across SSO (both in UK and India), and potentially other Service line teams
- Assisting with creation of comms and training materials to support changes resulting from projects
- Supporting Projects & Operational Excellence team activities, e.g. methodology and toolkit development, Continuous Service Improvement programme support and training, business continuity planning, pipeline planning, etc.
Your service line
Internal Client Services
At Deloitte, we’re all about collaboration. And nowhere is this more apparent than among our 2,000-strong internal client services team. With our combined specialist skills, we provide all the essential support and advice our client-facing colleagues need, right across the firm. We impact every area of our business, every day. From solving IT issues quickly and efficiently, to ensuring our people get the best possible training, to guiding colleagues on their tax and pensions. From our centralised hubs in Milton Keynes and Cardiff, we live, breathe and deliver the Deloitte experience.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
UK and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm on 1 June 2017. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but we require five leadership imperatives from all of our people:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and registered office at 2 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3BZ. Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NWE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”), its network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities.
Requisition code: 149083