Legal Counsel - open to flexible working
- Contract Type
EY is a global network of professional services firms engaged in advisory, transaction, assurance and tax services with member firms in over 170 countries worldwide. The UK firm of Ernst & Young LLP has over 700 partners and 17,000 employees.
The UK Legal team is well established and highly regarded. Led by our General Counsel, Lisa Cameron, we currently comprise 26 lawyers supported by 4 paralegals. The UK Legal team also forms part of a Global legal function.
We have a vacancy for a Legal Counsel – Commercial Lawyer within our high performing and ambitious in-house legal team. In line with our NextWave Strategy to create long term value as the world’s most trusted, distinctive professional services organisation we are disrupting ourselves for the future, focussing on asset based services, emerging technologies and encouraging and enabling innovation. We enjoy a challenging workload, supporting that Strategy by the prompt delivery of pragmatic, adaptable and commercial legal advice to all levels within our business.
Your key responsibilities
The work within the UK Legal team is highly varied and covers all legal issues arising from the running of a professional services business. Much of the legal work is at the cutting edge of business practice as the firm constantly finds innovative ways to help our clients’ businesses.
This in-house role includes:
General commercial contract work, often related to new technological and asset-based services for our clients, which may include:
- Master Services Agreements and Global Framework Agreements
- Software and licensing and systems integration agreements
- Managed services and outsourcing agreements
- Advising on tenders and RFP responses
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating contracts with suppliers
- General: providing legal advice to the firm’s service lines and its other internal support functions such as real estate and facilities, procurement, finance, HR, IT, knowledge and marketing and the opportunity to be the legal lead on firm-wide projects.
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong team player with excellent negotiation and communication skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to the attributes of our highest performing teams – focus on results, accepting of accountability, committed, embraces healthy conflict, builds trust.
- Keeps calm and copes well and efficiently with conflicting and ever-changing deadlines.
- Ability to lead, provide a view, take responsibility and ownership of issues, including an ability to take difficult decisions and provide substantiated arguments.
- Commercial awareness of the business issues facing us as we evolve, coupled with an active desire to get alongside our business, scanning the horizon for new service offerings to provide legal insight and support.
To qualify for the role you must have
- Approximately 5 or more years of post-qualification experience.
- Significant commercial contract experience gained either in a reputable City law firm (or equivalent) and/or in-house
- Not essential but some previous experience of negotiating contracts in the technology sector and/or managed services and outsourcing agreements would be of benefit
- Ability to provide practical legal advice and support with a high degree of professionalism in a fast-paced environment and to establish a high degree of credibility, respect and trust at all levels.
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Proven ability to establish a high degree of credibility, respect and trust at all levels, including with senior members of the firm, some of whom have a considerable understanding of the law.
What we look for
A self-starter, adept at responding promptly/juggling deadlines who actively looks to build relationships based on trust and confidence.
What we offer
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
Prior to finalizing your application, you will be asked to provide personal information across several dimensions of diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept entirely confidential and will not be used to evaluate your candidacy. We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment process holistically and implement actions that promote diversity and inclusiveness. While optional, we encourage you to provide this information to hold us accountable towards our goal of building a better working world. Read more about our commitment to diversity & inclusiveness here. We ask because it matters!
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.