Finance Analyst - Climate Risk-2, Open to flexible working
The threats to our environment are urgent and growing and climate change will be a major game-changer for decades to come. Both physical risks, such as changes in climate and acute weather events along with transition impacts on economies, changes in consumer preferences, and regulatory developments, have the potential to affect all businesses, including our own.
Understanding the potential impact and being able to quantify the risk to Diageo in financial terms is an emerging area that has a lot of internal and external focus. Companies that can do this successfully will be well positioned to embed that understanding throughout their businesses, from corporate level planning to local risk management and external reporting. Simply put, understanding climate change can lead to a competitive advantage for Diageo.
- Shape the future – this is an opportunity for the right person to put their own stamp on how we look at climate change as a business. This person will be able to envisage the desired results and work backwards to build a plan on how to deliver those outcomes
- Win through execution – success in this role will require the person to be agile whilst demanding high standards in execution
- Cross functional business partnering – effective communication and partnering with the professionals across the business and externally will allow the successful candidate to get alignment on calculations and assumptions and deliver on desired outcomes and the data.
- Partnering with senior leaders – building positive relationships will be key to enable the candidate to work with pace. Delivering succinct updates on progress and barriers will be crucial to achieving desired results.
Purpose of Role:
- Model and quantify the financial impact of climate change on Diageo based on different climate change scenarios and various time frames
- Take identified climate related risks and define a methodology and approach for evaluating those risks including and how they will impact our financial documents and reporting disclosures
- Define the scope of modelling in F22 that ensures we represent key risks appropriately
- Perform financial modelling of environmental risks and present it back to key partners
- Support in the continuous development of a system solution to perform the scenario analysis of climate risk
- Train key partners in methodology and understanding of how climate risk will affect the business
Top 3-5 Accountabilities:
- Playing a key role in quantifying financially, the risk climate change poses to Diageo under various scenarios
- Develop systemised modelling that can perform this quantification in a robust, yet flexible way
- Provide a quantified risk to the business that can be used in our annual TCFD disclosure & elsewhere in the reporting cycle
- Provide analysis to business areas affected by climate change to advise on mitigation planning
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Experience in developing multifaceted financial models and scenario analysis
- Experience working on system development and pulling together and mapping various financial and non-financial data
- Thorough understanding of Diageo financials and ability to translate business risks and opportunities into a specific financial statement impacts.
- Strong financial / commercial analysis background, ability to communicate with partners at varying levels and the ability to flex to different market environments/ cultures
- A strong understanding of Diageo’s end-to-end business operations – this role encompasses both supply and demand aspects of the business globally.
Barriers to Success in Role (Optional):
- Unable to think innovatively and find solutions to sophisticated problems
- Unable to communicate optimally cross-functionally e.g. system development
- Lack of business experience and understanding - unable to understand business issues, etc
- Unwilling to take ownership for complex issue resolution and driving tasks to completion