Data Science Engineer II - Data Visualization, Open to flexible working
Over the last 18 months, we’ve seen how critical the healthcare industry is to society.
If you would love to be part of making a difference, then consider joining us and applying for our Data Science Engineer – Visualisation opportunity.
You would be supporting new GSK’s purpose of uniting science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together. Our purpose is to develop tools, models, and processes to enable scientists to create preventative products such as vaccines or discover ways to treat illnesses such as therapeutics. We also support the equally important development of robust and efficient manufacturing of such products. Examples of specific areas of interest include delivering end-to-end biomarker data pipelines; delivering integrated data analytics environments to aid scientists in target identification or models that drive more efficient cell line development. We are a team with an ambition to be at the cutting edge of the pharmaceutical industry data science and engineering. So, as an R&D department with a passion for using data to solve problems and improve patient care, why wouldn’t you consider working for us?
Our organization is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. Our leaders are committed to your career and development from day one. You will be working in a stimulating and supportive environment as part of a dynamic, growing community. You will have access to our Learning & Development resources, comprising a blend of on-the-job learning with targeted coaching, peer-to-peer mentoring, expert-led workshops, and a network of learning providers.
Are you a full-stack web developer looking for a new challenge and opportunity to venture into data science and apply it to drug discovery and development in the pharmaceutical industry?
We’re looking for a full-stack web developer to join us to help make this vision a reality. This role will be focused on delivering containerised and production-ready web applications and prototypes along the process. These applications/prototypes encompass innovative data science and visualisation solutions to help scientists gain insights quicker and better. This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered, and held accountable, to be creative, ambitious, and bold.
This developer role should be able to:
- Collaborate closely with a team of data scientists and data visualisation engineers to iteratively develop and deliver prototypes and applications for data science projects
- Deploy and maintain the front-end and back-end of web-based data visualization projects that support data-driven decision making
- Design, develop and implement the process as well as architecture for robust, reusable data visualization components aligned to appropriate standards and relevant technologies. This should include being able to produce specifications and maintain good quality project documentation through an Agile development process.
- Act as a “self-starter” given a vaguely defined business objective and drive it to a high-performing product with little direction. Then partnering with the Data Services as a Product team towards product ship.
- A degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or 5+ years of experience in the industry
- Experience with common source control repositories, such as GitHub
- Some familiarity CI/CD principles, containerized run-times (Docker), serverless architecture and deployment
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- RESTful Web API services, as consumer and producer
- Micro-service API architecture
- Front-end and back-end test suits such as Jest, Mocha, Cypress, etc
- Previous experience in pharma or biomedical research is a plus but not a requirement
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.