Senior Data Scientist, Open to flexible working
6 days left
- Contract Type
As a Data Scientist you will join a community of data and analytics professionals, who are truly valued and appreciated for your knowledge and skills, and are critical to our success, performance and impact we can have on our patients. Advanced data and analytics is disrupting our industry and revolutionising GSK for the better. At the core of this effort are our small, inter-disciplinary squads of Data Scientists, Analysts and Data Engineers, working alongside Business Consultants to lead our digital transformation and tackle our most impactful business challenges. You will be responsible to integrate and analyse complex, high dimensional data sets, building novel, innovative models to solve challenging business problems or identify untapped opportunities. You will work with and lead your team to ensure that these models are translated into solutions for GSK. The work you do will transform GSK, making sense of our huge untapped data sources to drive better business choices, make advanced analytics a competitive advantage for GSK and secure better health outcomes for those who depend upon our medicines and innovation.
People Data & Analytics (PDA) is a relatively new team for GSK, rapidly developing the People Analytics capability across the organization. Our purpose is to ensure strategic HR decisions at GSK are driven by facts. The team applies advanced analytical techniques to provide data driven insights on what really matters to employees and which human capital investments really drive business results. The team sits within the HR organization, in a dynamic, evolving environment.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
The Data Scientists in our team play critical role in driving the People Analytics capability forward. This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold.
We work on a variety of HR and business topics, delivering our insights to senior management. We have the ambition to develop scalable data products, to support management and employees to use our insights in the best possible way. Together with our product owners, Data Analysts and Data Engineers, as part of our Agile way of working, you will:
- Translate a business need into a well-defined machine learning problem and execute on that solution in an interdisciplinary team. The Data Scientist will be able to actively identify opportunities to apply machine learning to build, test, and validate predictive models. They should be the standard bearer for good coding practices and promote proper unit, functional, and integration tests for code to ensure quality.
- Able to explore and evaluate the appropriateness of the data for the intended task. The Data Scientist will be experienced in designing models that perform to a particular specification and be able to evaluate the model that will best suit the problem at hand.
- Compare results from various methodologies and recommend the best techniques to stake holders and able to defend robustly in meetings with senior leaders.
- They should be capable of thinking in advance of model's future requirements or how the available data might change over time and design a product that will be able to cope with those requirements.
- Assume leadership of some, or all, of a product ship.
- Be the ‘go to’ leader in specific methodologies and mentor junior data scientists on the team and share ideas in an open collegiate way.
- Continually learn new analytical skills, techniques and tools to improve competitive advantage; participate in internal & external technology communities.
- Communicate technical subject matter clearly and concisely to audiences of various backgrounds.
Basic Qualifications & Skills:
- BSc degree in a STEM-related discipline (Mathematics or Engineering, Data Science/ML, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics) with extensive work experience in data science or related role.
- Experience of designing, developing and implementing analytical solutions using a variety of commercial and open-source tools (deep experience with Python is required). Working knowledge and experience with cloud based and local data science frameworks and toolkits.
- Experience of comparing results from various methodologies then explaining the technical concepts at all levels in the organization, including senior managers/stakeholders.
- The ability to create algorithms to extract information from large, multiparametric data sets and deploy them into production to realize significant value.
- Experience in manipulating data in a big data environment.
- Working knowledge and experience of project management methodologies, include Agile methodologies and the hypothesis-driven approach.
- Have a strong desire and commitment to coach and develop other, more junior team members, on best practices in data science and be an advocate for date literacy across the organisation. This also includes working to build and grow a talent pipeline of technical expertise across GSK.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- Experience in development of interpretable machine learning to production using a programming language such as Python or R.
- Experience in delivering solutions to production via Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery.
- Experience with MS Azure stack and/or Databricks.
- Knowledge and experience of the data landscape in HR.
- Experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical industries.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert. When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Be You’ at GSK
At GSK, we're a company with a purpose to help people do more, feel better and live longer. We realise that our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best. Therefore, we want all applicants to be able to perform their best throughout the recruitment process.
We will be delighted to hear from talented individuals that align to our values. These are at the heart of everything we do and include: Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living our values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. In return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Together, we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us.
As a modern employer, we empower you to be yourself, share ideas and work collaboratively.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.