Global Marketing Manager, Talisker - 12 Month Contract, Open to flexible working
Diageo was created in 1997 but its business is built on the principles and foundations laid years before by giants of the industry – Arthur Guinness, John Walker, Elizabeth Cumming and many more. Today, Diageo is a world class leader in beverage alcohol, producing an outstanding collection of over 200 brands and owning the top two largest spirit brands in the world, Johnnie Walker and Smirnoff and 20 of the world’s top 100 spirit brands. Its portfolio also includes Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan’s and Windsor Whiskies, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo has built a strong platform for growth – through investment in its own brands, and by acquisition to broaden the geographical footprint and category depth and range. The company’s strong local business units are well-positioned to win in increasingly competitive and fast-paced environments. Diageo’s portfolio is well-diversified across price-tiers, enabling it to participate where consumer opportunity is greatest, and to capture shifts in consumer preference.
Diageo's culture is built and maintained by the five values that underpin its business and guide how Diageo works. At Diageo, employees are passionate about its customers and consumers and want to be the best. They give each other the freedom to succeed and value each other. Employees work hard so they can be proud of what they do and how they do it. While Diageo moves at pace, constantly evolving and improving, its values remain consistent. Diageo wants that employees live these values every day, everywhere so that Diageo can be proud of what they do and be the best that they can be.
Diageo Malts Team
This is an exciting time to be in the Diageo Malts team! We have a big ambition in Malts and it is to become the world’s undisputed #1 player in an incredibly vibrant category. Malts has global momentum and is outpacing other whiskies growth. It has more than doubled in value since 2005, making it one of the world’s fastest growing Spirits and the world’s fastest growing whisky category. Growth is strong and coming from all regions over 3yr CAGR and the category is expected to double again in the coming 5 years.
In this role, you will be working closely with our core global markets of Europe, Global Travel, US, Australia and Greater China to grow Talisker, our iconic rugged luxury brand. With Talisker, our vision is to become the world's first luxury adventure brand and will soon become the World's No.1 Peated malts.
Exhilarating & elemental, we are also deeply passionate about the fragility of the oceans and the impact this has on our planet. And have embarked on a mission to re-wild our oceans with our partnership with Parley, a leading environmental organisation that focuses on the protection of the oceans, and a pledge to protect and re-wild 100K hectares of ocean waters. We continue to push the boundaries with our innovations with our wild whisky making experiments extending our range into super luxury as well as sustainable spaces and our ever more exciting and daring acts in culture. As a brand proudly made by the sea, everything we do is inspired by the Call of The Wild and is to raise One for the Sea.
We are looking for a wild spirit who is passionate about leading brands with purpose. You will be responsible for growing this exciting brand and for the breakthrough market execution of the global brand vision and strategy. You will engage, inspire and influence lead markets & their teams, within marketing, customer marketing and sales, to ensure sponsorship & investment behind the brand & ensure exceptional, trailblazing growth drivers, cultural platforms, partnerships and assets that engage and inspire markets to execute brilliantly. You will have the creative flair, track record of building excellent relationships, confirmed ability to drive long-term business growth and demonstrate commercial acumen to build competition beating plans at a channel & customer level that roll up to the Diageo Global Malts strategy & ambition. You will also have a strong external radar & a track record of managing partners, global ambassadors and marketing, PR, event and talent agencies to enable to deliver brilliance and continuously find creative ways to unlock growth & lead Talisker to its full potential.
Diageo brand teams are the custodians of our brands and work to ensure the future growth and success of said brand. As a member of this team you will be the guardian of our the brands within this category and work to shape their future.
To reflect our desire to be agile and also ensure our talent can be developed across the most important projects, this role sits within the malts category team but is not purely aligned to one single brand within in.
You will own, lead and drive the creation of brand strategy and brand plans based on consumer, customer and shopper insights, build brand equity and help drive;
- Recruitment/Re-recruitment – both from a customer and consumer perspective
- Scale – in all commercial elements of the brands, building strong relationships with the commercial teams on the ground to deliver above and beyond the AOP
- Fame – making these brands the most talked about across the market. You will work with the Global Brand Teams, multiple agencies, cross-functional teams and partners to deliver on our salience and brand love objectives
- Physical Availability - the ability to see, find and trigger associated memories in a buying context, all resulting in success at the point of purchase
- Lead cross-agency teams and foster new partnerships in developing the brand’s communication approach and execution in an omnichannel environment (on, off & 3rd space)
- Own, build & amplify the role the brand plays in culture, working collaboratively with members of the Culture & Entertainment function and the amazing & growing Friends of Talisker network of partners and advocates.
- Ownership over innovation elements of the brands, product launches, new-to-world activities etc.
- Lead the relationship with the Global Brand Teams for the market
- Lead the relationship with Parley & global brand ambassadors.
- Shape the brand to thrive in a digital environment, develop long term digital strategy & social media plans
- Be responsible for the full P&L for the brands across the market. Understand and respond to the drivers of your brand performance, working in partnership with the commercial teams to deliver and exceed the annual operating plan
- Lead the pricing & promo strategy, margin mix and volume drivers for all brands across the full market
- Create brand strategies and drive them through to brilliantly carried out plans that consistently beat the competition and gain share
- Engage, coach, advise and support all team members on all brand activities, demonstrating leadership both in the what and the how so that they can excel in and deliver brand activities
Ideal experiences / Qualifications / capabilities
- 12+ years of relevant marketing experience
- Exceptional ability to build and maintain genuine relationships based on mutual trust & respect
- Successful management of senior stakeholders at all levels, resulting in strong and positive outcomes
- Holistic skills across all marketing pillars as well as a track record of leading transformational business results
- Being able to excel when dealing with ambiguity, complexity and working within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and matrixed environment
- A history of working across media, digital, experiential, PR, culture, social and with external agencies
- Experience in leading global Partnerships & Brand Ambassadors
- Demonstrated brilliant execution to impeccably high standards
- Deep personal accountability for great performance
- Strong end to end commercial FMCG understanding, alongside high levels of numerical competence and attention to detail
- Experience of working with and leading a team, whether directly or indirectly
- Experience working across multiple countries/geographies/cultures