Senior Scientist (Part time)
About the role
Abcam, a leading biotech organisation, have got a brand new Senior Scientist (Part-time) role available to work in our Purification & Conjugation Team. The position will be offered on a permanent contract.
This is a predominantly lab based role where you will be working closely with other Purification & Conjugation Technicians and Scientists. This is an exciting opportunity as you will oversee production activities, as well as get involved in planning and performing Purification & Conjugation optimisation projects, and integration of new technologies/techniques to the team.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Support the Purification & Conjugation Team in-line with workload demands
- Work independently/alongside other teams on R&D/process optimisation projects. Prepare associated project plans, design bespoke experiments and liaise with stakeholders to agree deadlines
- Carry out weekly scheduling and monitoring of routine Purification and Conjugation processes and manage team workload
- Support Technicians in their lab work, ensuring that all production work is carried out to high quality standards. Identify when specifications are missed and troubleshoot these situations
- Supervise individuals during training; providing technical, theoretical and practical information during the training process
- Keep stakeholders informed and up-to-date by sharing all relevant information and take part in cross team discussions, including presenting data to stakeholders and influencing outcomes through actions
- Show compliance with Quality policies, SOPs and Health and Safety procedures.
- Hold a Life Sciences degree
- Have significant experience within industry
- Have significant experience of the practical and theoretical aspects of some of the following techniques:
- Antibody production techniques
- Protein conjugation
- Use of chromatography systems
- Be an enthusiastic team-player, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work independently when required
- Work well under pressure, working to tight deadlines
- Demonstrate good troubleshooting skills
- Be confident in using MS-Office applications.
- A lab-based PhD involving the practical aspects mentioned is desirable but not essential
- Experience in chromatography techniques – Affinity, SEC, IEX, HIC
- Experience in protein stability formulation studies
- Experience in antibody and conjugate validation/optimisation
- Experience in working to ISO 9001 standards.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and best-loved brand in life sciences.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.