Finance and Governance Director, Part-Time 0.4 FTE - some homeworking available
Finance and Governance Director (Part-Time, 0.4 FTE)
Creative Mentor Network (CMN) is an award-winning charity working to increase socioeconomic inclusion in the creative industries through mentoring. Working in partnership with organisations including Soho House, Facebook, Sony Music and Amazon Prime Video, we have supported 1,000 young people into the creative industries.
We are looking for a Finance and Governance Director to support the senior leadership and board of trustees with financial management and planning, and governance as we expand nationwide.
Start date: ASAP (our application deadline is rolling)
Salary: £16,000 - £20,000 (£40,000 - £50,000 FTE), depending on experience
Location: London Kings Cross and remotely
About the role
This year we launched our ambitious strategy which sees us expanding nationwide, expanding support for young people from diverse backgrounds to progress into senior roles through our Accelerate programme, and building out the way we support young people into employment and partners to access the talent in our network.
Finance and Governance Director is a new role for Creative Mentor Network. You will work closely with the CEO, Managing Director and our committed Board of Trustees, taking the lead on financial management, risk management, statutory reporting and legal duties so that we are a sustainable, compliant and impactful organisation as we grow.
You will be joining a leadership team of two, who provide support to six employees. Although you won’t take online management responsibilities, we are a small organisation and so you will be working closely with both our programmes and our partnerships team. Long term, you will be reporting into the CEO, however she will be going on maternity leave at the start of March and in the interim you will work alongside our Managing Director to report into the board of trustees.
Strategy and governance:
- Support the board of trustees and CEO by giving advice and information to support decision making
- Work with the CEO to drive board development
- Regular review of governance documents including risk register, scheme of delegation and financial processes
- Manage the trustee recruitment process for appointments as they arise
- Organise board and subcommittee meetings including collating papers, agenda and minutes
- Secure and up to date filing of trustee documents
- Produce regular management accounts and report into the board on a quarterly basis to give them an understanding of CMN’s overall financial performance
- See gaps, draft and update financial and governance policies where necessary
- Ensure that finance systems and processes which support CMN’s policies are set up, documented and implemented including employee remuneration and staff policies, financial processes and partnership costing processes
- Statutory reporting and compliance for Charities Commission including managing the preparation and filing of the Annual Report by offsite accountants and arranging Independent Examination
- Preparing the VAT return
- Oversight of CMN banking
- Organisation-wide budgeting and supporting the team with departmental budgets
- Accurate bookkeeping in Xero, including bank reconciliations, prepayments and accruals, income, expenditure, accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Raising invoices and contracts, processing invoices and dealing with supplier queries
- Manage the outsourced payroll and employee pension contributions on a monthly basis
- Ensure CMN is compliant with all statutory and regulatory requirements
- Managing financial operations within a small organisation, preferably experience in a charity
- Experienced in the preparation of monthly management accounts, forecasts and other reports
- VAT experience
- Creating and managing budgets
- Using accounting and financial software (Xero, Nest etc.)
- Interpreting complex information into clear summaries for those without financial experience
- Understanding of charity compliance, or a keenness to learn
- Drafting organisational policies
- Takes initiative, highly organised with a proactive approach to improving processes
- Happy working independently and as part of a team
- Enjoys adapting in a growing organisational environment
- Comfortable developing and using complex Excel spreadsheets
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Passionate about CMN’s mission and improving opportunities for young people from lower socioeconomic backgrounds
Aware of the importance of DEI practices within an organisation
Act with empathy & sensitivity to all colleagues & stakeholders, irrespective of cultural background or protected characteristic (Equality Act 2010)
- 25 days’ holiday plus office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Soho House Membership
- Flexible working including working remotely, flexitime, compressed hours, and 4pm Friday finish
- Enhanced pension contributions
- Generous maternity and paternity policy
- Generous professional development budgets
How to apply
To apply, please select the apply button shown
Deadline: Please apply immediately as we are looking to fill this role urgently and therefore, early applications are encouraged. We will review applications and hold interviews on a rolling basis for this reason.
We are committed to equal opportunities in our recruitment and employment process and, in order to find out how well we are doing with this, we need to collect monitoring data. We would appreciate it if you would complete our equal opportunities form so that we can ensure our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. The form is anonymous and any information supplied will be treated in the strictest of confidence (this form will become available when you select the apply button).
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.