Finance manager - part time, 16-24 hours per week
London Chemicals & Resources (LCR) are international distributors and suppliers of chemicals and metals. LCR operates internationally, dealing with markets directly and via a network of agents. We are a small, friendly office based in Westerham, Kent.
This is a wide ranging role in a small, but busy office. This role takes responsibility for all aspects of the finance function, including monthly management accounts, quarterly accounts for the bank, liaising with the auditors, preparing the year end accounts and taking responsibility for ensuring the accounts are filed on time. The role reports into the managing director and forms part of the senior management team. Routine tasks include VAT and payroll. An accounts assistant has responsibility for payments, banking and most of the routine bookkeeping – and this role also supervises the accounts assistant.
In addition to LCR, there are also two other small companies - Black Eagle Estates Ltd and BMJS Investments Ltd. Black Eagle Estates Ltd is a commercial property company that manages a number of commercial tenants, and BMJS Investments Ltd manages an investment into a European business.
The role is very flexible - in terms of days and hours worked. The role is usually two days per week, although when deadlines are close this can go up to three days (but usually only for one or two weeks). The two days could be worked as shorter days over three days, if preferred.
Self motivated individual, with the ability to easily fit into a team. Good attention to detail required, along with an enthusiastic, flexible approach. The right person will be happy to get involved in different projects as necessary. The role can be intellectually challenging as judgement needs to be exercised over accounting for contracts. The ability to explain financial terms and concepts without jargon is key when dealing with employees not from a financial background.
Relevant accounting qualification, plus experience of working within teams in busy organisations. Good range of experience involving working with external auditors, preparing management accounts, payroll, VAT and corporation tax.
Monthly and quarterly management accounts
- Prepare monthly management accounts for internal use, and quarterly accounts for submission to the bank within 60 days of the quarter end
- Reviewing each contract active in the month and ensuring that all known revenues and costs are appropriately accounted for. This involves looking at individual contract files, and where necessary, discussing contracts and progress with traders. Negotiations over costs and revenue can span several months and often judgement needs to be exercised over accounting for these contracts
- Discuss and explain the results each month to the managing director
- Reviewing all provisions in place and assessing whether they are valid each month
- Keeping a list of contracts not yet finalised and updating their status each month
- All “usual” management accounts entries – accruals, prepayments, fixed assets etc
- Liaise with external auditors regarding the year end audit – agreeing timing and deadlines
- Prepare the year end accounts, and working papers for the audit
- Take responsibility for agreeing adjustments with the auditors
- Take responsibility for the finalisation of the audit
- Supervise preparation of property company accounts, and liaise with external accountants to ensure accounts are filed on time
- Quarterly VAT return for larger business, and supervision of quarterly VAT return of the property company
- Run small payroll for property company, check larger payroll and liaise with external payroll providers to ensure data and payments are transferred on a timely basis
- Calculate monthly pension payments and keep up to date with pension legislation - ensuring appropriate communication with employees
- Liaise with payroll providers to ensure P11D’s are prepared on a timely basis for larger company
- Prepare annual returns for submission to Companies House
- Ad hoc tasks as required
Please apply with your CV and covering letter via the application method below.
Apply for Finance manager - part time, 16-24 hours per week
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly