Consultant/Associate Director, Indirect Tax, Open to flexible working
Consultant/Associate Director, Indirect Tax (Litigation, Advisory and Settlement Team), Tax & Legal, UK
The marketing leading Litigation, Advisory and Settlement (LAS) Team sits within Deloitte’s Indirect Tax practice. In line with the rapid growth of the Indirect Tax practice over the last 5 years, the LAS Team has significantly expanded its footprint and has set exponential growth targets for the future. To meet our growth needs, we are looking to recruit ambitious, high calibre resource at Consultant and Associate Director levels.
The LAS team is regarded as one of the most dynamic and successful, with a reputation for leading cutting edge, high profile tax disputes against HMRC for blue chip clients across all sectors. We work with the Indirect Tax group across a number of industries including Financial Services, Real Estate, Public Sector, Consumer Business, Energy and Technology, Media and Telecoms. Our work includes multi-million pound tax appeals before the UK courts (including challenges against HMRC by way of judicial review) as well as leading Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) projects. We lead discussions with HMRC, HMRC’s Solicitor’s Office and the Courts on behalf of our clients to help them best manage their dispute journey. We also advise in respect of case law and/or legislative change. Our people are proactive, engaging and fun to work with and a role with us will afford you the opportunity to get involved with prestigious clients and complex and interesting tax technical and legal issues which will expand your horizons.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Working in LAS will offer you the opportunity to become involved in challenging and interesting high-profile work. You will assist in all elements of the litigation process, including liaising with HMRC, HMRC’s Solicitor’s Office and the Courts as necessary and dealing with and managing appeals through the Tribunal and English court system. In addition, where disputes are more suited to settlement by way of ADR, you will be involved in all aspects of mediation, including drafting position papers as well as settlement agreements. You will also be expected to work with tax consulting colleagues including analysing case-law developments and providing advice on complex tax and legal issues (such as contract review or the scope of privilege). There is also the opportunity to input into identifying business development opportunities and related marketing campaigns.
We are passionate about developing our people and working with us your skills will be enhanced with plenty of scope for you to progress quickly through your involvement in engagements concerning a diverse range of clients with specific needs and requirements. The key to our success is the collaborative approach we take to client disputes where we work as part of multi-disciplinary client services teams with our Tax colleagues as well as specialist Global Trade Advisory and colleagues in Deloitte Legal. You will be actively encouraged to develop your own client relationships and internal networks to facilitate such collaborative working.
You will have responsibility for:
- Assisting with tax appeals including: drafting notices of appeal, applications, witness statements, skeleton arguments and other submissions/pleadings, research into relevant statute and case-law, drafting Instructions to Counsel, notes of conference, litigation hearing preparation, knowledge and application of Tribunal Rules and Civil Procedure Rules, dealing with Tribunal/higher courts and HMRC’s solicitor’s office.
- Dealing with other challenges against HMRC including judicial review proceedings including pre-action protocol, witness statements etc and assistance with restitution claims.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: drafting ‘ADR’ applications and position papers, legal research, scenario planning and providing general support throughout the ADR process/settlement meetings. This includes the potential opportunity to shadow and assist a trained mediator during a mediated meeting with HMRC.
- Advisory: drafting technical notes on case-law and statutory provisions as applied to client specific scenarios, analysing case-law trends and drafting update communications/articles, and drafting Instructions to Counsel and notes of conference. You may also be required to take part in internal presentations on case-law updates etc and other business development initiatives.
- Working on existing and/or new client engagements reporting directly to a director and/or partner.
- Assisting with the development of less experienced staff with hands on advice and support.
- Working closely with colleagues in other parts of the firm, including Deloitte Legal.
- Having a clear understanding of the firm’s commitment to creating a more inclusive and diverse culture
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: UK (Birmingham, Cambridge, Leeds, London, Manchester, Reading)
Work Pattern: Permanent role
Your professional experience
To qualify for the role you must have:
- CTA or qualification such as the Legal Practice Course (LPC)
- Excellent attention to detail and organisational skills
- Previous tax litigation experience including a detailed understanding of the UK civil court procedural rules (including the Tax Tribunal rules) and administrative law
- Excellent client facing, team relationship building and business development skills, coupled with commercial awareness
- The ability to be proactive, identify commercial opportunities and take early responsibility
Your service line: Tax Consulting
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application