Finance Manager, Open to flexible working
Finance Manager, Open to flexible working
BGV is a leading early-stage ‘tech for good’ investor. We believe technology can radically change people’s lives for the better. Our mission is to help talented teams launch and scale ventures using technology to tackle major social and environmental problems, improving millions of people’s lives. Since 2012 we’ve backed over 110 ventures including Fairphone, DrDoctor, Open Utility, Overleaf, Andiamo, OurPath, Onaria, Organise and many more.
We are currently raising our second investment fund and some of our activities are now regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our portfolio will double in the next 3-5 years and our business and corporate structure is evolving to reflect our growing assets under management. To support the next phase of our growth we’re expanding our team to include a dedicated, proactive and commercially-minded finance manager, to support strategic decision-making, improve our existing processes and effectively communicate financial information to a range of external stakeholders.
While the core BGV team is small (we’re a dynamic bunch of eight people), our wider community includes over 60 live startups in our portfolio and over 100 mentors in our network. We work alongside our ventures in our co-working space at the Ministry of Startups in Shoreditch, which is home to a further 150 startups and freelancers. BGV gives you the benefits of being in a small team whilst being part of a bigger community movement.
We are looking for a pragmatic and motivated finance manager to help us develop a robust and dynamic approach to financial planning, decision-making, reporting and compliance appropriate to our growing impact investment business.
You will work closely with the BGV partners and Operations Manager as a member of our Operations team. You will support our investment and commercial activities with exposure to a range of external stakeholders and our exciting portfolio companies. We’ll provide you with a dedicated training budget and the advice of our external financial and regulatory partners to further develop your skills.
- Supporting strategic decision-making, commercial partnerships, investor relations and fundraising activity with insightful and timely financial information and analysis
- Assisting with our planned application for FCA authorisation as an Alternative Investment Fund Manager
- Building upon existing finance and regulatory compliance processes to manage risk as the business grows
- Co-ordination of annual budgets, quarterly management accounts and other financial and tax matters for BGV’s group entities
- Establishing good working relationships with financial, legal and regulatory advisers
- Assisting with regular portfolio valuation exercises
- Providing practical ad hoc advice to BGV startups
The ideal person will:
- Be fully ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualified
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate financial, regulatory and risk matters in an engaging way to a range of audiences
- Have experience of working to tight deadlines on multiple projects/tasks
- Share our interest in technology, startups and social innovation - ideally with knowledge of the fund management sector
- Have an affinity with BGV’s mission and values and be excited about the opportunity to work with socially motivated startups
- Be team oriented, with a ‘can do’ and ‘hands on’ approach to helping out the wider BGV team wherever necessary
What can we offer you?
- An amazing experience working alongside startups solving big social and environmental problems
- The opportunity to build a growing impact investment business’ finance function
- Exposure to our growing network of portfolio companies, mentors, investors and commercial partners
- A great work environment and supportive team culture
- Commitment to your personal development and £1,000 per year training budget
- 5% employer’s pension contribution
- Flexible working
We are committed to building a diverse community and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities and individuals with disabilities.
Please apply with your CV and covering letter via the application method below.