Director AI/ML Engineer for Computer Vision - Open to flexible working & some homeworking
- Contract Type
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of Machine Learning and AI will allow us to develop novel therapies to existing diseases and to quickly respond to emerging or changing diseases with personalized drugs, driving better outcomes at reduced cost with fewer side effects. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products and solutions at the cutting edge of Machine Learning and AI. If that excites you, we'd love to chat.
We're looking for a Director AI/ML Engineer for Computer Vision to help us make this vision a reality. Competitive candidates will have a track record in developing SOTA deep learning models for solving challenging real world computer vision problems. They should be an outstanding scientist with in-depth knowledge in modern machine learning, as well as classical computer vision technique and software libraries.
They can convert vaguely described computer vision challenges into well-defined machine learning problem. They can independently as well as leading a team of engineers to plan, execute and deliver full AI/ML driven solution from sourcing training data, design and implementing SOTA machine learning models, testing, benchmark and product driven research for model performance improvement, to shipping stable, tested, performant code and services in an agile environment.
Educational or professional background in the biological and medical sciences is a plus but is not necessary.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in modern computer vision (deep learning focused)
- Highly experience in AI/ML engineering with an established track record of successful delivery of state-of-the-art AI/ML solutions
- An outstanding scientist, machine learning engineer, and software engineer. Demonstrate expertise and depth in deep learning for computer vision, including but not limited to image segmentation, object detection, weakly supervised learning, and self-supervised learning
- Familiar with classical and traditional computer vision algorithms
- Proficiency with a broad range of deep learning algorithms and in-depth understanding of major CNN model architectures
- Familiarity with current deep learning literature and math of machine learning
- In depth knowledge in machine learning best practices, scalable training and deployment, model introspection and evaluation
- Advanced level in PyTorch, Tensorflow, or other deep learning frameworks
- Highly experienced/accomplished in software engineering with advanced skills in python and/or C++
- Experience with devop stacks: version control, CI/CD, containerization, etc.
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and lead junior member of the team
- Previous line management experience is a plus but not required for applying this position
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Peer reviewed publications in major AI conferences
- Experience in design, development and deployment of commercial AI/ML software.
- Track record of contributing to open source projects
- Mentality of commit early and often, metrics before models, and shipping high quality production code
- Knowledge in disease biology, molecular biology and biochemistry
- Experience with biological data (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics, etc.), clinical data (e.g., electronic health records, clinical images)
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
- You would work from our main location within central London and Remote from home.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.