Senior Software Engineer for AI/ML Computer Vision, Open to flexible working
- Contract Type
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of Machine Learning and AI will allow us to develop novel therapies to existing diseases and to quickly respond to emerging or changing diseases with personalized drugs, driving better outcomes at reduced cost with fewer side effects. We are aiming to develop companion software for every future GSK medicine. If that excites you, we'd love to chat.
To help us make this future a reality, we are looking for Software Engineers that have a track record in developing production grade AI-powered software solutions. Software Engineers at GSK are outstanding engineers with in-depth knowledge in modern software craftsmanship practices and a keen interest in making a positive impact in healthcare.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
- Design and implement AI-powered software solutions across the entire software development life cycle, including product and user research, requirements engineering, software architecture design, implementation, testing, integration, and maintenance.
- Fully integrated with AI/ML engineers to lead, design, and implement well decoupled, modularized, reusable, and scalable deep learning training and inference pipelines.
- Work closely with experts in biology and clinical teams to ensure fit-for-purpose user interfaces and data pipelines.
- Deliver robust, fully tested and performant code that can be deployed as class III medical devices (software as medical devices)
- Lead and coach AI/ML engineers for best software engineering practice.
- Work from our main location within central London and Remote from home.
We are looking for:
- A degree in a quantitative or engineering discipline (e.g., computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, engineering, among others); OR equivalent work experience as a professional software engineer.
- 5+ years of experiences in commercial software development.
- Demonstrated advanced programming expertise in Python and/or C++ and in developing and delivering robust software solutions.
- Expert knowledge of modern software development tools and practices (agile frameworks).
- Understanding of at least one major deep learning framework (PyTorch, TensorFlow).
- Strong knowledge of software engineering best practices, including continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD), containerization, and shell scripting.
- Background or interest in biology or medicine is a plus but not required.
In addition, it would be nice if you bring:
- Basic familiarity with machine learning principles and state-of-the-art modelling approaches.
- Contributions to relevant open-source projects.
- Knowledge or interest in disease biology, molecular biology and medicine.
- Experience working with biomedical data (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, electronic health records, clinical images)
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.