Communications Manager (FT, but open to flexible working)
Please note, in order to be considered for this role, you need to send your CV AND a covering letter. Thank you.
Can you see yourself working for a leading social enterprise and being part of a creative, passionate, entrepreneurial team tackling major social problems? Could you oversee all Shift’s communications activities and ensure all our products, as well Shift itself, are known, spoken about and loved?
Shift is an award-winning social enterprise that designs products and builds social ventures to help solve social problems. We’re looking for an experienced, highly skilled and energetic new team member to lead all Shift’s communications activities, both devising consumer-facing campaigns to promote our various products and raising awareness of Shift amongst potential funders, partners and investors.
What you’ll do
- Develop and implement communications and marketing strategies to support the launch and growth of Shift products, using a range of tactics including PR, paid social media, paid search, digital and printed materials
- Develop and implement communications strategies to engage potential funders, partners and investors working in key areas such as obesity and mental health. You’ll work closely with Shift’s Directors to understand the organisation’s growth ambitions and use a range of tactics including PR, public speaking, networking and printed materials
- Run PR campaigns, building relationships with journalists, writing press releases and picking up the phone to sell a story
- Seek out speaking opportunities and organise Shift publicity events
- Lead digital marketing campaigns on paid and unpaid social media channels, Google Ads and email marketing platforms. You’ll devise the strategy, write content and analyse results to iterate and improve these
- Manage our websites’ CMSs and continuously improve our SEO
- Write, curate and edit communications materials, including press releases, blog posts, newsletter content and social posts. Use your picture manipulation and video skills to produce engaging content
- Help build and manage Shift’s contacts database
- Use innovative growth hacking techniques to leverage other people’s networks and radically grow our audiences.
- 4+ years experience in managing communications
- Excellent communications skills – proven ability to express complex ideas in everyday language
- Portfolio of PR successes
- Demonstrable success with paid social campaigns (including Facebook, Twitter and Linked In), paid search (including Google Adwords) and email marketing (eg Mailchimp), plus experience with relevant analytics programmes
- Demonstrable success managing and improving the SEO of a CMS system, ideally WordPress, using techniques and tools such as Google Analytics
- Proven ability to juggle multiple diverse projects at the same time
- Entrepreneurial approach, able to create results out of small or limited budgets
- A whole heap of enthusiasm for what Shift is doing and an unbridled energy for finding ways to promote us.
- Ability to do basic image manipulation in Adobe Creative Suite, basic filmmaking and photography
- Experience of managing the production of written publications.
- Up to £50,000 per annum, depending on experience
- Scope to take ownership of Shift’s communications strategy and implementation
- Part of fast-growing, socially-focused organisation
- Join an energetic, bright and passionate team, based in Farringdon, London
- Possibility of less than full time role for the right person
- 25 days annual leave, plus 1 additional day for each year at Shift (up to 5)
- Matched pension contribution up to 4%
- Access to our tech scheme, child care voucher and cycle to work scheme.
At Shift, we recognise how important it is to strike the best work/life balance. Although this is a full time role, we are open to a discussion around the flexibility requirements of the right candidate. This includes staggered start/finish times, condensed hours, and the opportunity to work from home at times.
Shift addresses a range of social issues including obesity, mental health and social isolation. We follow a research-based, user-centred design process to develop a deep understanding of these issues and the people involved, and develop products and services to tackle them. We aim to create things that people need and like, have a measurable social impact and can grow to scale as self-sustaining social ventures. Partnering with organisations like the NSPCC, NCT and Google allows us greater reach and impact.
Our portfolio includes Family Feeds and Box Chicken, created as part of our healthy fast food work; BfB Labs, which develops biofeedback video games that build resilience to mental illness; and Historypin’s Storybox, local storytelling events that increase understanding and empathy amongst diverse local groups in the UK and US.
Our team has won Webby and Tech4Good awards, were finalists in the Google Impact Challenge and were twice named a New Radical by Nesta and the Observer.
If you are excited about this role, please submit a CV and a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4, explaining why you are interested in the role and why we should pick you by 11.59pm 23rd September.
We look forward to hearing from you.