Senior Scientist, Open to flexibility
Senior Scientist, Open to flexibility
We are currently seeking a highly-motivated scientist. The ideal candidate will have a track record of delivery and achievement in molecular/cell biology and gene editing. The successful candidate will join the Oncology Cell Therapy Unit within Oncology R&D and will be based at GSK in Stevenage.
With strong experience in cell biology and gene editing you will be required to be an essential contributor to team that is focused on generating key reagents and data to drive decisions for oncology cell therapy discovery programmes. Specifically, you will become a core member of an oncology target biology group, where you will be required to work with early drug discovery teams. It will be your responsibility to understand key programme challenges and devise clear plans that you will deliver in that lab to help programme teams to progress.
You must be able to work well, both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary research team, think proactively, be open to the ideas of others, and willing to accept responsibilities outside of your core job description. You will be accountable for generating high quality, robust data to support your findings. Importantly, you must have a strong desire to lead research from the bench, with a track record for delivery and a strong scientific background. You will be expected to develop credibility with colleagues across GSK R&D, perform data analysis, record keeping and reporting of results to corporate databases to agreed timelines and to give oral presentations of results at programme, group and departmental meetings.
The candidate must be a creative, innovative self-starter, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in team and matrix environments.
The position is available in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 26th Sept 2018
- Life science graduate plus relevant experience
- Background in cell biology and molecular biology with strong experience of tissue/cell culture
- Hands-on experience in gene editing using CRISPR/Cas9 for cell lines generation or editing of primary cells
- Experience of a range of analysis techniques, such us FACS and flow cytometry
- Molecular biology experience, such as ddPCR, qPCR, ELISA, cloning and western blot
- Experience of cell assays including functional and immunology assays
- Background in basic research and interest in drug discovery
- Track record of showing initiative and problem-solving
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise work supporting multiple programs
- Ability to lead research from the bench and to work in a team to achieve group objectives
- Excellent communication skills
- Background in immunology and cell and gene therapy experience
- Experience of a range of cell imaging and analysis techniques, such as multi-colour flow cytometry, FACS and confocal microscopy
- Experience working with primary cells and tissues
- Maintenance of accurate and clearly written laboratory notebooks and database records
- Cell biology and drug discovery experience in biopharmaceutical companies
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a structure for delivery and strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.