Finance Director R&D Development/Research Project - Open to flexible working
New digital technologies are transforming the entire pharmaceutical sector, particularly in the fields of research & development. Technology is helping GSK to accelerate the pace at which we develop and deliver transformational medicines, prioritising those molecules which have a higher probability of success and terminating early those that are less promising.
The digital, data and analytics agenda for R&D has accelerated at an unprecedented pace as it becomes the battleground upon which healthcare companies differentiate themselves. This role exists to drive the strategic commercial thinking that will enable execution at pace across both research, and development. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the digital transformation that will shape the future of GSK.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate: superior commercial acumen, bringing strategic insight, and rigorous analysis; be proactive challenging and exceptional at execution. This is a highly visible role both in the UK and US, and will partner closely with key stakeholders across tech (inc VP for DD&A) and finance (VP Research, VP Development).
This role needs to help link the tech functional direction into the R&D business, therefore requiring high intellectual capability to learn contextual knowledge in the tech and digital space.
- Development – OneDev is a multi year portfolio of deliverables that is already mature and executing on its scope. This requires continual focus on deliverables and value realisation across R&D, whilst continually prioritising constrained spend
- Research – this programme of work, is at an earlier stage. You will help form the benefits and investment cases, have a professional grasp of the spend/ value creation/ risk items and be able to propose solutions, and execute financial leadership beyond the core numbers
- You will be critical in working seamlessly across development, research and Tech, in maximising value through effective prioritisation of tech investments.
- Become a trusted member of the programme team, that operates beyond a simple understanding of the numbers in a complex matrix environment. You will provide insights and senior level financial advice to not only the programme, but also into the R&D finance leadership team. You will help drive projects to come to life, and its associated P&L impact.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Batchelors/Professional qualification (e.g., ACCA, ACA, CIMA, CPA, MBA, or local equivalent)
- Experienced candidate with significant demonstrable partnering experience in a commercial context
- High level of technical financial competence in Financial Analysis, forecasting , planning and decision support
- Relevant finance experience and a proven record of success in a matrix environment working with multiple customers
- Ability to prioritise multiple projects with varying degrees of complexity and work effectively through change and uncertainty.
- Stewardship and Governance – Challenge business propositions that may have a significant risk or poor financial return. Build an environment where GSK employees act with the highest integrity to protect GSK resources, personal accountability and courage to ensure the safeguarding of GSK’s assets and reputation.
- Senior individual able to demonstrate gravitas and authority when interacting with stakeholders.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the biggest change we’ve made to our business in over 20 years. We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.