Director of Finance and MIS, Part time 21 hours/wk
1 day left
- Contract Type
Director of Finance and MIS, Part time 21 hours/wk
Purpose of the role:
- Accountancy Services
- Payroll, buildings and ICT services
- Contract and procurement services
- Management information systems and reporting
- External auditing and governors reports
- EFA funding allocations and ILR returns
- Capital bids and income diversification
- Resources and buildings management
Big Creative Academy
Big Creative Academy (BCA) is a post-16 free school specialising in the creative industries. We believe that teaching skills employers want and empowering young people to think reflectively enables positive outcomes for students and our wider community. Big Creative Academy is committed to wellbeing and excellent teaching. We have recently had an Ofsted inspection and were judged Grade 2 ‘Good’, with inspectors recognising that the Academy makes a significant difference to the outcomes for young people. We have high expectations of our staff and students and want to be recognised as one of the leading providers of vocational programmes in the creative arts. We are already a DfE best practice school for LGBT+.
Big Creative Academy opened in September 2014 and have 250 students, aged 16-19, primarily studying Level 3 vocational qualifications. Our students are diverse and challenging and ultimately extremely rewarding to work with. Our study programmes specialise in music, fashion, media, gaming, events, performing arts as well as GCSE Maths and English.
The Academy is lively! We are well connected with industry and all of our teaching staff have industry experience. We also have industry ambassadors from companies such as MTV, ITN, Barcroft Media and Island Records and experts are kind enough to provide masterclasses for students. Our focus on skills, wellbeing and networks gives our students the edge in a competitive marketplace.
Sacha Corcoran MBE is Principal of the Academy, an inspiring self-made woman involved in education for over 20 years. She has brought together a small outstanding team who are committed to the vision and ethos of the Academy. There are three senior managers, 17 teaching staff and fifteen in business support. Our team are high achievers and have interesting and diverse backgrounds. Many are have their own creative careers as musicians, actors, producers and fashion designers and all have a passion for creativity.
Some of the benefits of working at BCA
According to our staff survey, the number one reason for working at BCA is to be involved in a new and ambitious project. You will have the freedom to develop processes to make them work for everyone. We want people with big ideas and the commitment to make them happen, and we can provide a supportive environment for you to do that.
BCA supports staff wellbeing and provides the following benefits:
- Continuous professional development – BCA is committed to developing staff as individuals and provides team CPD days. Your line manager will also work with you to develop a personalised CPD programme to cover your specific training needs.
- BCEXtra – a programme of activities for staff, including gym classes, meditation, philosophy, film club, pub club, sewing and anything else you’d like to lead!
- To lead and manage the Academy’s Finance and MIS department, overseeing an ESFA funding budget of up to £2 million. Having responsibility for the production of annual reports, data sets, governor reports, self-assessment and termly business reviews, and monthly management accounts.
- To work closely with the ESFA, DfE and external stakeholders to ensure the long-term stability of the Academy.
- To ensure that the Academy achieves its financial targets, (set by the Governing Body), and create annual surpluses for re-investment.
- To define and implement financial policies in such areas as, but not limited to budgeting, cash management and forecasting, recording and documentation, project financial analyses, monthly financial reporting and asset custody.
- To provide leadership for the development of information and knowledge management within the Academy to support forecasting, budgeting, strategic decision making and the management of risk.
- To ensure the Academy meets external audit requirements.
- To line manage three staff overseeing payroll, MIS, ICT and Buildings Management. To set budgets and lead on delivering credible, accurate and timely management information to ensure budget managers the senior management team and the Governors have the information relevant to their needs. To ensure data is accurate, with timely submissions of the ILR.
- To engage with students by supporting the delivery of enrichment and wellbeing sessions and master classes in finance and business management.
It is also expected that the post holder will:
- Ensure that the Academy’s policies for equality of opportunity, health and safety, and safeguarding are adhered to and promoted in all aspects of the post holder’s work
- Ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of the work and responsibilities attached to this post, in keeping with the academies quality assurance procedures and systems.
- Develop, implement and sustain effective and efficient project management and operational cash flow.
- Be committed to professional self-development, through participation in training as necessary for the successful carrying out of the job and keeping up to date with funding changes and government policy.
- Undertake such other duties at the request of the Principal, both at the main Academy site and from time to time at other locations as required.
Please see full job description and person specification below.
To apply please submit your CV and covering letter detailing your suitability via the application method below.