Legal Counsel - Flexible working
Take our heritage into the future. Make way for tomorrow with Diageo.
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company with an outstanding collection of brands, such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and Guinness. With over 200 brands in 180 countries our teams blend a diverse range of experience, knowledge and skills. We connect customers and consumers to our iconic products and create innovative experiences that bring people together to celebrate life.
You will provide dedicated support across the team. You will require a high level of professionalism and integrity, with good analytical and drafting skills, in particular in the area of commercial contracts, consumer and marketing laws and regulations, data privacy, and with some experience of competition law. You will be able to simplify legal concepts in a clear way; work autonomously and take initiative; have good interpersonal and influencing skills; flex your style & confident to support with presentations and training sessions to diverse audiences.
The GB market:
Our has specific complexities in structure particularly in its route to market (where Diageo is largely reliant on UK brewers, its principal competitors, for its on-trade route to market). This means there are legal and regulatory constraints that apply to the distribution, sale and marketing of beverage alcohol combined with Diageo’s leading market positions in certain beer and spirits categories, make the provision of legal support complicated. The judicial systems in the UK are very sophisticated & the external environment is complex. There continues to be the threat of further Government (at both a National and Devolved level) intervention and additional regulations and restrictions on the alcohol industry whether from additional duty increases, the introduction of minimum unit pricing, health warning labelling, advertising controls, and deposit return schemes. In addition, Competition Regulators and other Regulators in GB (such as the CMA, the SFO, the FSA and ASA) are some of the most active in the world. This team provides dedicated legal resource to ensure GB’s strategic objectives are achieved without compromising its business integrity or reputation.
The Counsel GB will support our growth strategy and Diageo’s Performance Ambition through providing creative, pragmatic support, employing commercial savvy and lateral thinking. You will:
- Provide advice to the GB business; in particular draft and review commercial contracts such as Ontrade agreements, joint business plans and other customer contracts, marketing and sponsorship agreements;
- Advise on legal and reputational issues on consumer and customer marketing activities, innovation launches and sponsorship across GB; and support with consumer and regulatory complaints;
- Support delivery of the critical Compliance agenda including supporting the Legal Director and Market Counsels in providing relevant Legal Compliance training across all teams in GB, including regular refresher sessions;
- Carry out general legal research;
- Provide insight on changing regulatory landscape;
- Assist with development of team know-how and lead the processes for document and knowledge management, and records retention; and
- Work closely with specialist global legal function teams (IP, Antitrust, Business Integrity, Brand Protection and Corporate Security) for issues and initiatives relevant to GB.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities
- Helping achieve our GB ambition: provide pro-active and fit for purpose legal advice and support GB in a manner that will enable Diageo to beat the competition, drive achievement of our Ambition, attain the Must Dos, at all times in support of our key outcome of “Credibility & Trust: trusted by all partners for doing business the right way, from grain to glass”.
- Reputation Management: Support the creation and embedding of great governance, effective compliance and risk management across GB.
- Cost Management: Contribute to Productivity agenda. Provide support to the team to ensure effective management of end-to-end legal spend, including ensuring that all external legal budget and spend data are recorded on Busylamp.
- People Growth: Dedication to personal growth and capability building, aligned behind and accountable for business performance.
- Lawyer qualified in England and Wales, or another UK jurisdiction (or equivalent) and with relevant commercial legal practice experience gained in leading law firm or in-house
- Knowledge and understanding of legal issues relevant to the commercial business in GB
- Fluency in English