Sales and Account Manager (Open to flexible working)
Location: Midlands, with frequent national travel (driving licence required)
Salary: £30k + commission; OTE >£50k
Reporting: Reports into Commercial Director
Start date: ASAP
About Policy in Practice
Policy in Practice is an award-winning, socially focused start-up company set up in 2013.
Government policy is complicated, confusing and ever changing. This makes the welfare system difficult to understand, to communicate and administer. We believe the welfare system can work more effectively and help people toward greater independence.
We simplify the welfare system on a national, local and individual level either through helping people on low incomes to understand how government policy affects them, so that they can make better decisions and lead more fulfilling lives - or by showing local authorities how each individual household is affected by all policy changes, now and in the future. Our engine models how the policies of four government departments affect thousands of individual households on low incomes. We use a scientific approach to data visualisation that can drill down to individual households and help people to take control.
We have supported over 75 local authorities, housing associations and welfare to work organisations in their efforts to improve the future for many people across the country. Our work has reached over 1 million of the 8 million households that are affected by the welfare system. Our mission is to reduce poverty, and we do so through use of our calculator, which provides personal budgeting support, by promoting work through our better off in work calculations, or simply through helping local authorities to target resource, spend money more effectively or to meet their statutory obligations.
While this is a huge achievement, it’s not enough. We strive to reach every household impacted by welfare reform and bring positive change to their lives, now and in the future. We can only do this through our continued growth, development and influencing policies of the future.
We’re looking for a dynamic and self-motivated Sales and Account Manager - with a proven track record in a similar or related sector – who has the passion and drive to make a significant contribution to our continued growth during an exciting time for the business.
You will report directly into the Commercial Director as a core member of our growing national salesforce, owning the sales cycle from start to finish and operating mainly at Head of Service/Director level. You will be working alongside our vibrant team of social policy experts, software technicians and data analysts to provide outstanding service and product delivery, which leaves clients delighted.
Your main focus will be to promote our consultancy and software offerings, building relationships with decision makers and frontline advisors in local authorities, housing associations and advice agencies, and achieving or exceeding sales volume and value targets in 2018 and beyond.
There are excellent opportunities for growth and advancement within the company for the right person.
Sales and business development
- Take care of and manage allocated UK target markets, in accordance with sales strategy agreed with the Commercial Director
- Promote our products and services to prospective clients and generally drive new business by executing a professional sales process from start to finish:
- Identify new prospects
- Contact, qualify and build a relationship with prospects over the telephone
- Maintain relationships via email, working with the marketing team
- Hold virtual and in person client meetings and deliver product demonstrations and trials, ensuring feedback is recorded, shared and acted upon
- Show you understand customer needs and challenges by suggesting effective and cost-efficient solutions – drawing on and co-ordinating response with technical, analytical and management teams
- Write compelling, professional and engaging proposals that focus on the expressed client need and potential strategic and operational use of our services that will support deal closure
- Meet and exceed realistic sales targets
- Feed back market knowledge and client use cases to the organisation in an effective way to ensure development is in line with commercial need.
- Continue to work with new and existing clients to ensure they are delighted by our software, and provide support to ensure the software is embedded into their teams
- Learn about each client’s needs to identify new business opportunities, support renewals and provide a high level of ongoing service.
Overview of Required Skills and Behaviours
- Purposeful: know what you’re doing, and why
- Passionate: we care not just about what we’re doing, but also why
- Dynamic: we push for opportunities to improve, be creative and be innovative
- Insightful: we’re sharp, we go beyond just the analytics to get to the “so what”
- Ambitious: not just for our clients or for ourselves but also for those personally affected by welfare reform. The system can and should be better. We can and will be better.
Specific Key Behaviours and Values:
- Integrity: building on our reputation to date
- Self-motivated: for achieving your sales targets and growing this business
- Commercial acumen: to be both realistic and ambitious in your role
- Target driven: to keep focused on sales and growth
- Team worker: happy to share and learn with colleagues.
Overview of Required Experience
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Evidence of an ability to build client relationships, understand their needs and identify opportunities
- Organised with excellent attention to detail
- A natural ability and passion for consultative sales
- Ability to write compelling, professional proposals and successfully deliver a sales cycle through to completion
- A self-starter with the ability to stay motivated and work independently
- Desire to work in a business with a social purpose
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Knowledge and/or interest in the welfare system and the impact of welfare reforms
- Knowledge and/or experience of local government or social housing
- Experience of selling in software/analytics, esp in the public sector
- Proven track record in b2b consultancy sales
- Experience with a sales pipeline methodology.
If you feel you’re skills and experience make you the ideal candidate for this role, please Apply via the button below with your CV and a short covering message.
We look forward to hearing from you.