Software Development Manager - Agile working available
Software Development Manager, London
Salary £61,176 - £99,411, + competitive package
This is fantastic opportunity for right individual to grow into an Engineering Lead role and will enable you to build your line management capability as well as exposure to more strategic business objectives and decision making.
Key role objective is to deliver the highest quality customer driven software whilst continually challenging, motivating, mentoring and supporting their engineering teams. They will work in cross-disciplinary teams delivering exciting customer driven solutions and high quality software and showcase excellent interpersonal and communication skill whilst efficiently working across the project life cycle to ensure software operates as intended. This is entry leadership level role opportunity and will blend both deep domain and technical expertise within a feature team and great passion for coaching and developing people in a "player-coach" model.
We're on a journey to build the bank of the future, and we need your help. We're continuing our extensive transformation Programme, with an investment of £3bn, redefining what a bank is from the inside out. Become part of our diverse team, and you can experience a rare opportunity to impact the lives of more than 26 million customers through brands including Lloyds Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland and Scottish Widows. We need people who can make this transformation a reality.
Where does the role sit?
The role sits in our Payment and Economic Crime Prevention (PECP) Value Stream where our overall vision is to promote social well-being for our customers by enabling them to make and receive payments and protect them from fraud and financial crime.
We do this by supporting the Payments, Fraud and Financial Crime Business Areas in processing compliant, fast, secure and flexible transaction management services and covering rising threats from social engineering and real time payments by implementing new and improved digital ways of meeting and exceeding our customer needs.
About the role:
We're looking to recruit an aspiring Software Development Manager to be part of an Award Winning Lab, who understands mainframe technology, who is a passionate advocate of engineering and champions the Group Transformation principle and practices.
The engineering manager will be responsible for maintaining and delivering end-to-end engineering Payment solutions for our customers supporting our Cloud transformation journey. Your contribution will be instrumental to our strategy of simplifying, modernising, and de-risking the Payments landscape, enabling the Bank of the Future and ultimately driving value for customers and shareholders.
You'll work with a range of key stakeholders, external partners and our internal development and testing teams, to support the successful achievement of IT strategies.
This is a leadership role, providing direction for our Lab engineers, blending domain knowledge, deep technical expertise and coaching cross-disciplinary feature teams to deliver high quality maintainable software. With excellent interpersonal and communication skills, you can identify and own design decisions, and drive their resolution.
We understand that people don't fit neatly into roles, and we value everyone's individual skills, experience, and knowledge - it's what makes you amazing!
What follows is what you might find our Software Development Manager mostly doing, but your experience will flex depending on the team's needs, and your own aspirations. Our objective is to grow and create an environment where you can do what you enjoy.
Here's how you can make a difference
- As part of the leadership team, you'll set strategic direction for how we build software within the teams, which includes tools, coding standards, quality controls etc.
- You'll ensure that software is built in a way which is consistent with - and exploits where possible - the collective frameworks, patterns and industry innovations that exist across the wider Engineering community
- You'll mentor and develop software engineers, providing clear and constructive feedback and creating opportunities for learning and growth
- You'll establish and maintain effective working relationships with all areas, not only within Digital, but across the Group to promote Engineering to improve the overall delivery method
- We're looking for you to have a committed focus on delivering business value through sound software engineering methods and principles
- You'll own the technical, risk, people, and development to maintain and enhance your application platforms in support of what is best for our customers
What we need from you:
- Strong Software Engineering background and an appreciation of agile development practices, TDD/BDD, automated builds, continuous integration, code quality metrics etc.
- Experience in providing Software Engineering oversight, technical leadership and setting the strategic direction across multiple teams
- Understanding of the mainframe estate and its relevant technologies, including Cobol, TWS, DB2 etc
- Experience across the entire SDLC from inception, through build to production
- Agile working methods - sprint delivery, continuous integration, continuous delivery.
- An understanding of containerisation - e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Cloud Hosting
- Passion for coaching other software engineers and building a strong team culture
- Experience in risk, supplier and financial management
Together we'll make it possible...So what can we offer you in return?
You'll have the opportunity to prove your leadership capabilities by leading developments with associated engineering teams through all stages of the development from initiation through to Live implementation. You'll get plenty of opportunities to further develop yourself via internal and external training courses.
Whatever your aspiration, you can also expect excellent benefits, personal development and a career that's enriching and full of opportunity.
In PECP, we promote an inclusive and supportive culture - it's one of the many things our colleagues love about working with us!
You'll also receive a package that includes:
- Eligible for performance bonus of 0-30% salary
- A generous pension contribution
- 30 days leave plus bank holidays
- A 4% flex cash pot to spend on benefits (or take as cash)
- Private health cover
- Share schemes including free shares
For further information and to submit your application, please click 'Apply'.