Part time Finance Manager
Our client is a young, dynamic innovation consultancy based in East London, they are seeking an experienced finance and accounts professional to bring strategic advice together with plenty of hands-on enthusiasm to help the firm achieve their goals in a professional manner.
Until now this company have been using an outsourced accounts service for everything from day-to-day bookkeeping & payroll through to R&D tax credit support & annual returns, but the time is now right to bring this function in-house to afford greater visibility & control as they grow.
The successful candidate will be a confident self-starter who is prepared to take ownership of all finance activities in this startup. They will bring the experience to ensure we they have all the appropriate financial policies & procedures in place, and will have the energy and determination to make things happen.
Candidates will have broad finance experience together with the technical expertise to hit the ground running. They will be able to demonstrate competence in the following skills:
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Experience with personally handling typical financial operations for a UK startup/SME, or other relevant senior accounting experience.
- Prior experience with Xero accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong commercial and general business acumen.
- Sound decision making and prioritisation skills with strong attention to detail & an investigative nature.
- Ability to work as part of a team and engage busy stakeholders even when working remotely.
- Ideally possessing a professionally-recognised accountancy qualification ACA, ACMA, ACCA.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
Ongoing bookkeeping including but not limited to:
- Processing and paying all company invoices, purchases, and credit notes, making domestic and international payments.
- Managing staff expenses and processing expense claims.
- Managing staff salary payments, all HMRC payments (PAYE, VAT etc.) and liaison with authorities on the firm’s behalf as required.
- Control all aspects of the financial accounts including bank reconciliations and VAT returns ensuring all financial transactions are correctly recorded and anomalies investigated.
- Manage credit control making sure all customers remain in terms and highlighting issues requiring action to the client team.
- Carry out all processing required on Xero to ensure accurate, timely accounting records including raising all invoices on Xero, coding all expenditures, posting actual payment dates of the invoices and maintaining all records.
Financial controlling & reporting including but not limited to:
- Assist with the preparation of budgets and development of meaningful financial KPI’s.
- Provide accurate and meaningful monthly reporting including P&L, Balance Sheet, and variance to budget analysis reporting.
- Ensure monthly cash flow reporting, highlighting risks to the rest of the management team and developing financial management mechanisms that minimise financial risk.
- Conducting reviews and evaluations for cost-reduction opportunities.
Financial advice to the board including but not limited to:
- Discuss trends, variances, opportunities and potential risks with the directors on an ongoing basis.
- Support the directors on financial strategy for the business including funding, commercial contracts, employee remuneration plans, EMI share option scheme etc.
- Develop external relationships with appropriate contacts (e.g. auditors, solicitors, bankers and statutory organisations such as the Inland Revenue).
Location: East London
Salary: circa £60K FTE
Flexibility: 3 days a week