Finance Assistant, Part time
Finance Assistant, Part time (0.75fte)
The role sits within the Finance and HR team of the Department of Law. This team is part of the Professional Services team of the Department of Law. The Finance and HR team are expected to work closely with academic staff in the Department, PS teams in the College and other similar role holders at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (our sister Department in the School of Law). The Law Department PS team consists of around 25 members of staff on different fractional and flexible working arrangements.
This role is to provide effective and efficient administrative support to the Finance Officer within the Department of Law. Under the supervision of the Finance Officer, dealing with straightforward day to day activities of processing financial materials including expenses claims forms, credit card transactions, invoices, raising POs and dealing with Teaching Associate and other temporary contracts amongst other financial activities such as monitoring budgets and prepare reports.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- To take responsibility for the ordering of goods and services for the Department according to financial protocols and timescales including processing invoices, all types of expenses claims, paying in slips, procurement forms and staff purchasing cards.
- To prepare financial statistics and annual forecasts, analyse financial data including tracking expenditures and investigating variances, liaising with appropriate people with any queries.
- To provide financial administrative support and advice to academic colleagues, research grant holders, guest and visitors. Liaise with them to ensure compliance, advice on correct processes and documentation in line with College financial procedures and the promotion of cost effectiveness.
- To work closely with a wide range of Central Queen Mary Departments including Financial Accounting, Financial Management, Procurement, Human Resources, IT Services, Joint Research Management Office, CCLS with the objective of improving processes and recommending possible procedural changes.
- To use the College finance system (Agresso) confidently including all its financial monitoring and forecasting tools plus maintain the Department’s own financial spreadsheets such as the research allowance expenditures database. Produce reports and be able to answer questions that have arisen from staff, and show reporting from spreadsheets
- To provide help for the Finance Officer/Director of Administration with temporary teaching contracts, ad hoc researcher and student ambassador contracts and one-off payments.
- To work closely with colleagues in the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, to share best practice and adopt similar methods and working practices where appropriate. Ensure working practices are noted and when appropriate to provide advice during colleague absence.
To apply please submit your CV and covering letter detailing your suitability for this role via the application method below.