Return to Work programme 2018/19 Manager, Business Modelling Group, Financial Advisory
Return to work after a career break with a 25-week paid programme that’s designed for you.
Our Return to Work programme is open to anyone who’s taken a career break of two years or more. It’s designed to refresh your knowledge and skills, and boost your workplace confidence. Whatever you’ve been up to, we know it will have enriched who you are and what you can offer to our clients and our business. This is about giving you the time and support you need to re-adapt and get your career back on track.
Over the course of the programme, you’ll benefit from a comprehensive induction to the firm, technical skills training, coaching and on-the-job project and client experience.
At the end of the programme you may have the opportunity to take up an exciting career opportunity at Deloitte.
To be eligible for the programme you will:
- have taken a career break of two or more years
- have five or more years’ experience within professional services or a relevant industry/sector, including a minimum of two years in a similar position to the role you wish to apply for
- be available to work from 21 January 2019 for a period of 25 weeks.
This is your opportunity to join Deloitte's Business Modelling Group (‘BMG’) as part of the Return to Work programme.
We are a market-leading, dedicated centre of excellence, comprising qualified accountants, experienced banking analysts and other specialists dedicated to problem solving, supporting our clients in the design, development and critical appraisal of decision support tools to help evaluate complex strategic, operational and transactional decisions.
Using a sophisticated modelling toolkit and proven methodologies, we draw upon our collective experience in the development of thousands of analysis tools, to deliver unparalleled insight to our clients.
- Apply critical thinking techniques to help our clients breakdown complex business problems into clear and understandable drivers of value, to provide clear and deeply insightful analysis;
- Develop analysis quickly and efficiently, through the use of cutting edge tools and techniques, saving time and effort to allow effective focus on adding real value; and
- Generate confidence for stakeholders in the quality and integrity of analysis, ensuring transparent and user friendly tools are tailored to the specific needs of each client.
At Deloitte we are renowned for our innovative and collaborative culture, commitment to delivering outstanding quality service to clients and enabling our people to excel in everything they do. BMG is fully integrated into the "One Deloitte" agenda and you will often find yourself working on large and exciting cross service line transactions and projects.
Benefiting from high levels of client exposure and working with the most experienced team in its field, you will follow a modelling training programme to become a recognised expert in your field.
We gain an in-depth understanding of our clients’ key business drivers and objectives, we help identify, simulate and test their business options, enabling a deeper and more informed view of the potential risks and returns involved.
Business Modelling is a specialist skill and you will learn the expertise, tools, methodologies and practical experience to help generate confidence in helping Clients make the most testing decisions.
We work directly with our clients and often alongside Deloitte teams from our Advisory Corporate Finance, Consulting. Audit and Tax practices. Our offerings address strategic, transactional and operational challenges in relation to business planning, transaction support, project appraisal, capital efficiency and model assurance, and include for example:
- Insight Driven Forecasting: Interrogating large, complex operational datasets to generate meaningful insights from which we build robust financial forecasts that provide competitive advantage in supporting transactions, restructuring or other strategic agenda
- Tactical MI: designing and rapidly implementing agile and cost effective MI solutions, to meet tactical business requirements arising from significant business change (e.g. M&A , carve out/divestment, reorganisation/ restructuring, complex programmes, regulatory change). Managing effective data collection from multiple stakeholder groups, and consolidation and validation processes across multiple sources, in situations where complex ERP implementation may prove non-cost effective or too slow to fit a quickly changing business environment.
- Senior Executive Support Systems: facilitating the collation of critical management information for senior/ board level executives. Focusing on projecting and reporting key performance indicators for strategic business decisions with an emphasis on graphical/ user friendly analysis, using bespoke dashboards and innovative visualisation techniques.
- Business Case Support: Building reliable and compelling business cases to win the confidence of decision makers and support planning and analysis throughout the project lifecycle.
As a Manager you will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of transactions/projects where you will:
- Take a lead role in supporting clients throughout decision making processes, using outstanding technical and commercial skills on transactional and strategic mandates
- Take responsibility for delivering engagements – being primary client relationship holder
- Possibly be seconded to a client to work directly within their business and report to a senior member of the client's team
- Work to tight deadlines, adding value on complex, high profile and sensitive projects
- Take an active role in business development initiatives which could include being closely aligned to industry or sector groups
- Be expected to be innovative in developing client solutions and also in driving the team’s strategy forwards
- Manage diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
We have particular focus on the following industry sectors:
- Financial Services
- Infrastructure and Capital Programmes
- Consumer Business
- Real Estate
- Energy and Resources
- Public Sector
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients.
Location: You will be based in the Deloitte London office, however the role may also involve travel and will require the flexibility to meet peaks of work inherent in the cycle of a deal. We specify full mobility for our financial advisory roles but we make arrangements respectfully. Working from home days are available and flexible depending on clients, deadlines, and projects.
Work pattern: Fixed-term part-time: the programme runs for 25 weeks from 21 January 2019; participants will work 80% (or 4 days a week) although we will always consider a full-time, 5-day contract if you prefer.
Your professional experience
To qualify, you will be able to demonstrate:
- strong academics, including ACA/CFA or equivalent (desirable but not essential depending on other experience)
- transactional experience
- enthusiasm for and ideally previous exposure to the Healthcare or Life Science sectors
- excellent numeracy skills with keen attention to detail and the ability to absorb and analyse large amounts of data quickly
- client focus, with an ability to work quickly and establish effective working relationships
- proficient oral and written communication skills
- logical and methodical approach to problem solving
- project management and organisational skills
- the ability to undertake detailed financial/commercial analysis for inclusion in client reports
- the desire and ability to be involved in business development activities
- the ability to develop, coach and motivate junior members of the team.
Your service line
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
The UK, Ireland and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but we require five leadership imperatives from all of our people:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction