Return to Work programme 2018/2019, Consultant / Associate Director, Private Client Service
Return to work after a career break with a 25-week paid programme that’s designed for you.
Our Return to Work programme is open to anyone who’s taken a career break of two years or more. It’s designed to refresh your knowledge and skills, and boost your workplace confidence. Whatever you’ve been up to, we know it will have enriched who you are and what you can offer to our clients and our business. This is about giving you the time and support you need to re-adapt and get your career back on track.
Over the course of the programme, you’ll benefit from a comprehensive induction to the firm, technical skills training, coaching and on-the-job project and client experience.
At the end of the programme you may have the opportunity to take up an exciting career opportunity at Deloitte.
To be eligible for the programme you will:
- have taken a career break of two or more years
- have five or more years’ experience within professional services or a relevant industry/sector, including a minimum of two years in a similar position to the role you wish to apply for
- be available to work from 21 January 2019 for a period of 25 weeks.
This is your opportunity to join Deloitte's Private Client Tax team as part of the Return to Work programme.
This is an opportunity to join one of the largest Private Client teams in the South East with an outstanding client base. We act for a broad range of ultra-high net worth individuals, comprising private business owners, international ‘non-doms’ and executives.
Working under the Deloitte Private sub-brand, a core focus of the team is privately owned businesses and their owners, with typical advice areas including, but not limited to: shareholder led corporate restructuring; advising principals and/or management teams in relation to transactions (including employment tax aspects); advising on the tax implications of profit extraction; investment structuring; business incorporations; wealth protection and succession planning. Whilst the predominant focus of the role will be upon the provision of tax advisory services, it will also incorporate the provision of complex tax compliance services to individuals, families and partnerships.
The successful candidate should show an appetite for business development and a willingness to proactively engage with prospective clients and intermediaries alike: they will of course be supported in these activities by the broader team.
This is a client facing role. You will be expected to start managing relationships with a range of clients with complex financial and tax affairs from day one. You will also develop our strong presence in the market place, as well as building your reputation across the firm’s broader Private Client practice. Core focus areas of the role include:
- Engagement Management: You will be responsible for managing your client relationships ensuring that client communication is pitched at the right level and delivered by appropriate team members in a timely manner. You will have responsibility for the management and delivery of complex tax compliance projects.
- Team Management: You will be responsible along with the other management team members for managing diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution. This includes the development of junior staff through providing technical and soft skill training. You will also be responsible for providing detailed and constructive feedback to your colleagues throughout the year and at formal review times.
- Finances: You will be responsible for the financial management and profitability of your client engagements including preparing budgets, maintaining efficiency and billing on a timely basis.
- Personal technical development: You will be expected to stay current with technical developments including changes in tax law and legislation in the UK. You will also play a role in the technical development and training of your team both formally through training sessions and in day-to-day interactions. Generally, strong technical competency is a key requirement for the role.
- Advisory: Together with senior colleagues you will work on advisory projects. This will include producing high quality technical writing for both clients and external marketing that requires little revision supported with technical research using appropriate tools.
- Network Development: You will establish your reputation within the firm and the external market as a leading Private Client professional and use these networks to identify client opportunities and to assist with the growth of the business.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients.
Work pattern: Fixed-term part-time: the programme runs for 25 weeks from 21 January 2019; participants will work 80% (or 4 days a week) although we will always consider a full-time, 5-day contract if you prefer.
Your professional experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills both oral and written
- Strong background in the Private Client tax space, ideally with strong experience of advising privately owned businesses and their owners
- Demonstrated ability to develop, train and motivate junior staff
- An appetite to take a leading role in business development activities
- ACA or CTA qualified.
Your service line
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
The UK, Ireland and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but we require five leadership imperatives from all of our people:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.