Return to Work programme 2018/19, Associate Director, Indirect Tax
Return to work after a career break with a 25-week paid programme that’s designed for you.
Our Return to Work programme is open to anyone who’s taken a career break of two years or more. It’s designed to refresh your knowledge and skills, and boost your workplace confidence. Whatever you’ve been up to, we know it will have enriched who you are and what you can offer to our clients and our business. This is about giving you the time and support you need to re-adapt and get your career back on track.
Over the course of the programme, you’ll benefit from a comprehensive induction to the firm, technical skills training, coaching and on-the-job project and client experience.
At the end of the programme you may have the opportunity to take up an exciting career opportunity at Deloitte.
To be eligible for the programme you will:
- have taken a career break of two or more years
- have five or more years’ experience within professional services or a relevant industry/sector, including a minimum of two years in a similar position to the role you wish to apply for
- be available to work from 21 January 2019 for a period of 25 weeks.
This is your opportunity to join Deloitte's Indirect Tax team in the South-East as part of the Return to Work programme.
Our team is regarded within the firm as one of the leading and most successful service lines, with a reputation for being proactive, entrepreneurial, successful and fun to work with. We reward our employees on merit and not time served. Working for us will present you with the opportunity to get involved in high profile projects, lead our market-leading team and expand your horizons.
The South-East team focuses on serving clients across the region, with focus on a variety of industries including Telecoms, Media and Technology, Public Sector, Travel & Aviation and Consumer Business. Members have deep industry knowledge and a wealth of experience, in providing to clients, tailored and practical advice on the application of VAT rules in relation to complex transactions and arrangements. Our work is typically global in nature due to the types of clients we work with.
The team advises a wide range of clients across the region ranging from retailers, manufacturers, airlines, publishers, social media, marketplaces, gaming, mobile operators, ERP providers, hardware manufacturers etc. Keeping abreast of all relevant VAT issues and developments that clients are most concerned with, it also works closely with trade bodies as well as dealing with HM Treasury and HM Revenue & Customs, acting on behalf of clients and in the course of consultations. Consistent with its clients’ operations, the work is often global in nature and provides colleagues the chance to broaden their knowledge and interact with the Deloitte global network regularly.
Your skill set will be enhanced with us as you work across our diverse team. From the outset you will find that our client base, reputation in the market and quality of people will provide you with the opportunity to take on responsibility and expand your presence in the market place.
As you are given the autonomy to establish your own contacts within a client and lead your own part of the business, your independence will be accelerated. Whilst autonomy is encouraged the diverse and experienced team network will always be there for if and when you need support and advice.
You will have responsibility for:
- Deepening relationships with target accounts, contributing to winning new work
- Leading existing client engagements
- Managing diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution
- Growing new market opportunities locally, nationally and internationally with an opportunity to lead the market development of new ideas
- Contributing to the enhancement of relationships with all targets and clients
- Working closely with colleagues in other parts of the firm.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients.
Location: Reading or St. Albans
Work pattern: Fixed-term part-time: the programme runs for 25 weeks from 21 January 2019; participants will work 80% (or 4 days a week) although we will always consider a full-time, 5-day contract if you prefer.
Your professional experience
The successful candidate will have:
- CTA or equivalent qualification
- Prior Indirect Tax experience gained within industry, professional services or HMRC;
- Excellent client-facing, relationship-building and business development skills, coupled with commercial awareness
- The ability to be proactive, identify opportunity and take responsibility.
Your service line
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
The UK, Ireland and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but we require five leadership imperatives from all of our people:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior peoplewe understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.