Project Manager - Home Office, Returners Programme
The Civil Service is here to serve the public, and help keep the UK prosperous and secure. We do an important role that touches millions of lives. Come back to your career through one of our flexible short-term contracts, and so could you.
Designed to be you-shaped
If life has taken you away from your career, the Civil Service Returners Programme is your route back into work. Our UK-wide placements range from 6 weeks to 6 months in length, with opportunities in every department – from Finance to Diplomacy, Environment and International Development. Whatever your focus in life, there’s a role for you at the Civil Service.
Perhaps you’ve taken a break from work for personal reasons, or maybe you’re moving away from a career in the military. Either way, the Returners Programme will help you experience the breadth and variety of roles we offer, and in a way that fits with your life. Our placements will give you a three-day week, the option to work from home, and flexible hours. Crucially, you’ll have the support and encouragement you need to make it all work for you. It’s about getting your confidence in great shape to apply for other roles at the Civil Service.
Are you eligible?
If you’ve taken time out of your career for at least 2 years, or you’re currently engaged in work that doesn’t make the best use of your skills and qualifications, you’re eligible to apply for the Civil Service Returners Programme.
About the role
The successful candidate will join a team of 5 to deliver a programme of works driven by Prime Ministerial commitments made to France to enhance the physical security infrastructure at the shared maritime border between UK and France. This programme of work has already invested £140M and following recent Sandhurst Treaty Commitments this has been extended. Outside of this work the programme team are also responsible for working with port operators and key Home Office enablers within estates, IT and security to deliver Border Force requirements at three major port builds in Kent and France, amongst other projects.
- Day to day management of Business Case and benefits tracker.
- Ensure continued alignment of Business Case to Home Office and Border Force objectives.
- Work closely with Finance colleagues and Europe Directorate leads to provide reports, briefings and updates.
- Work with Programme manager to develop monthly board papers for SRO and Board members.
Successful candidates will need to demonstrate:
- Competence working with data and figures and excel spreadsheets
- Ability to collate data and interpret this into assumptions
- Ability to pull strands of information together to incorporate into a relevant business plan
- Ability to work with others, work to tight deadlines and operate solo when necessary
Must be willing to travel and drive in France and be prepared for occassionally staying overnight in France.
For more information, and to apply, please click the apply button below