Associate Director - Life Specialist - (Flexible Working Considered)
Associate Director - Life Specialist - (Flexible Working Considered)
Job Description Summary:
To take full ownership of many complex allocated assignments, with minimal director or partner involvement, in a way that meets and exceeds the clients expectations whilst taking responsibility for managing and developing employees and growing the business.
Come and think independently with an organisation that’s doing the same. We’re determined to help shape a Vibrant Economy in the UK and beyond. It’s why we empower our people to bring new ideas to the table and take the lead in driving them forward. It’s invigorating. It’s inspiring. It’s creating opportunities every day for our clients, our business, and everyone here. So bring your passion, ambitions and ideas, and together, let’s make change happen. The time you spend outside of work helps shape what you can bring to our firm. We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider all flexible working applications.
Helping clients of all shapes and sizes, in financial services advisory we support businesses who make a major contribution to the growth of the economy in the UK and beyond. You’ll provide financial services organisations of many different sizes with the advice and solutions they need to unlock sustainable growth or navigate complex risks and challenges. You’ll help them achieve their business goals, enable them to grow sustainably and in turn help to shape a vibrant economy.
What you’ll be doing:
- Keeps abreast of relevant industry and professional developments and contributes to thought leadership
- Builds a personal network from which to generate leads
- Develops new business from own contacts and collaborative working with Financial Services Group colleagues or others in the wider firm
- Contributes effectively to developing, launching and exploiting new initiatives and service lines to diversify the business.
- Takes an active part in networking events and introduces contacts to colleagues
- Leads or speaks at industry, professional and client recognised external events
- Acts as an ambassador for the firm in seeking out opportunities to raise the profile of the Financial Services Group and Grant Thornton in the market place
- Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of the firm's products, services and capabilities and takes an active role in cross selling
- Participates in business development activities and contributes effectively to sales pitches and drafting proposals
- Ensures client take-on is completed in accordance with Grant Thornton risk management procedures
- Takes day to day management responsibility for delivery of a portfolio of client assignments
- Takes responsibility for managing selected client accounts
- Effectively manages client expectations regarding fees, delivery and deadlines
- Projects a confident and professional image
- Acts as a role model for colleagues and demonstrates leadership
- Is an approachable and respected member of the team who takes a proactive interest in the team's performance and wellbeing
- Takes responsibility and ownership for wider team issues
- Leads, manages, motivates and coaches team members, contributing to positive morale
- Ensures employees are working collaboratively across all areas within Financial Services Group to maximise our contribution to the firm and to clients
- Provides constructive upward feedback to more senior colleagues
- Develops others, providing appropriate learning and development opportunities and interventions
- Completes a timely appraisal and personal development plan for self and others, as appropriate
- Works in line with the firm's CLEARR values, of collaboration, leadership, excellence, agility, respect and responsibility
- Proactively manages own career, seeking out regular feedback and opportunities to work on a variety of assignment to build on existing experience
- Attends training to develop technical and personal skills; takes proactive steps to develop self awareness and performance
- Assists with recruitment as necessary
- Meets CPE requirements and completes return on time
- Meets all relevant requirements of Actuarial Profession
Operations and results
- Prepares fee estimates and budgets for client assignments and manages client expectations about changes and overruns
- Ensures assignments are delivered profitably and (unless otherwise agreed prior to commencement of the assignment) with full recovery (above 75%) of billable, chargeable time, with WIP write-outs kept to a minimum
- Contributes to ensuring maximum utilisation of staff and identifies and implements opportunities to work more efficiently
- Ensures bills are raised accurately and promptly, fees are collected in a timely manner and debtors are kept to a minimum
- Ensures compliance with, and adherence to, the firm's risk management policies and procedures
- Keeps partners informed of progress, draws issues to their attention and implements agreed actions
- Participates in the presentation of conclusions and recommendations to the client and discusses the implications and action points
- Designs and undertakes high quality analytical work requiring minimal input from directors and partners
- Writes high quality, professionally presented reports, requiring minimal input from directors and partners
- Deputises effectively for partners and directors when they are unavailable
- Ensures all files are closed down on completed projects in accordance with Grant Thornton policy
Who we're looking for:
Passionate about supporting, advising and helping businesses achieve their potential, you’ll be someone who wants to make a difference and shape your career and a Vibrant Economy. You’ll have strong technical skills and experience of providing clients with quality services.
You should be commercially focused with the ability to deliver innovative solutions. You should be focused on self-development as well as having the desire to coach, mentor and develop your colleagues. You must also share our CLEARR values – Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility.
We’re looking for people who have a strong connection with and share our core beliefs:
- Profit with a purpose that leads to a sustainable business
- We create sustainable value for our clients
- We are better together
- Our CLEARR values underpin all we do
- We never compromise on quality
Your personal development plan will help you grow your skills. And you’ll be able to progress your career within your team or by moving across our business or going on secondments in the UK and beyond. You’ll also enjoy a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package designed to meet your individual needs.
Becoming a shared enterprise
Our unique culture is built around collaboration. Everybody here plays their part. We share ideas. We share responsibility. We share the rewards. Put simply, we’re better together.