Head of Corporate & Legal Affairs, 32.5 hours per week with flexible working
The Mercers’ Company is looking to recruit a Head of Corporate and Legal Affairs for a fixed term contract of 18 months. This role will work across departments to deliver strategic and corporate objectives and be responsible for governance, legal issues and communications and, as appropriate, be the strategic lead for high level, confidential projects.
- Alongside the Clerk/CEO own and create a Strategic Communications Plan
- Implement Charity and Corporate Governance actions as agreed by the Court
- Implement any further strategic actions arising from external legal advice
- Assume day-to-day responsibility for projects of strategic importance delegated by the Clerk/CEO.
- Provide oversight and guidance for other high level confidential projects. These will mostly be of a legal and strategic communications nature.
- To take ownership of all legal issues and external legal relationships and ensure the Company is the recipient of appropriate legal advice and obtains good value for money.
Internal and External Communications
- To be responsible for all internal and external communications and be the conduit of communication between all parts of the Company, including with and from the Clerk and the senior management team.
- Act a strategic adviser and counsel to the Clerk/CEO
- Act as a point of contact between the Clerk/CEO, staff and other stakeholders
- Act as an external representative of the Clerk/CEO when required:
- attend committees not attended by the Clerk/CEO
- attend meetings of other Committees at the invitation of the Chairman
- To be responsible for all legal services provided to the Company. Understanding departmental requirements and developing agreed SLA’s to support effective outsourced legal advice.
- Taking on and managing ad hoc projects and day-to-day tasks and enabling the Clerk/CEO to focus on the strategic leadership of the Company.
- Support the Clerk/CEO in driving the agreed strategic plans.
- Senior level experience in a leadership role, proven track record of effectively interacting and being a trusted adviser with senior management
- Senior Level experience in leading legal services and projects.
- A clear ability to act in a leadership role in support of the Clerk/CEO (and where necessary on behalf of the Clerk/CEO) in relation to policy development, advocacy and stakeholder relations
- A successful track record of giving high level policy and strategy advice on complex or sensitive issues in a political environment and successfully delivering outcomes
- Significant experience of communications via engagement with a variety of media including print and social media
- Proven ability to co-ordinate media campaigns, communication strategies (internal and external) and to plan, manage and deliver targeted communication programmes.
Knowledge and skills
- High level influencing and negotiating skills; and the capacity to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
- Understand the nature of and be able to information gather, analyse and interpret results
- Track strategic initiatives/projects, monitor progress towards goals, analyse data, ensure follow on and sustain momentum
- Exercise diplomacy and demonstrate strong inter-personal skills
- Take into consideration at any one time competing priorities, key issues and risks
- Operate with poise under pressure, possess integrity and command trust
- Have outstanding written and verbal skills
How to Apply
To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter outlining why you are suitable via the application method below