Assistant General Counsel, full time - open to flexibility
We are searching for a Assistant General Counsel who can make a positive difference to the Legal team and GSK as a whole and who can inspire others to the same. Come and join the team! Together we can serve our GSK colleagues to enable them to help patients and consumers around the globe to do more, feel better and live longer.
WHAT IS YOUR JOB PURPOSE?
To provide legal advice and representation for GSK for employment law and regulatory matters across the UK (GSK's Headquarters and key UK sites) where a significant percentage of employees are based and the most significant concentration of key HR clients, including its senior-most.
To serve as the lead UK employment lawyer and as primary employment law counsel to the Pharma business (with direct responsibility for UK Pharma and 'indirect' for all other markets, ex-US, serving as primary counsel to HR Leadership Team member with responsibility for Pharma) including Supply.
WHAT ARE YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES?
• Provide highest quality legal advice to aligned clients, namely UK HR Operations for all UK-wide risks and serve as the primary employment law counsel to the Pharma business including Supply
• Represent GSK in the resolution of disputes related to UK employment-related matters including oversight of handling and representation for UK employment tribunals.
• Advise and conduct investigations related to UK employment-related matters, oversee legal advice and provide legal counsel to UK Employee Relations Center.
• Take strategic and proactive approach to pan-UK HR risk management efforts. Represent the Global Employment Law (GEL) Team on various risk boards.
• Oversee employment law and regulatory compliance
• Provide legal advice to key requests or investigations the government related to employment.
• Provide flexible, legal support to other areas supported by the GEL team and other business units as needed. Serve as the UK employment law expert and 'center' for GEL colleagues.
• Manage a paralegal to support the delivery of legal advice and representation.
• Engage and manage external counsel in a strategic way that ensures the most appropriate resource to the risk-level presented. Also ensuring that our engagements promote diversity of legal talent.
INTERESTED IN JOINING THE TEAM?
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
Please ensure you apply before COB 22nd Oct 2018 to ensure you're in the running!
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements, please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
• Qualified Legal Counsel
• Extensive in-house Global Employment Law experience or equivalent
• Combine legal and regulatory expertise with a knowledge of the business to anticipate and solve problems and then provide solutions for key HR and management decision-makers. For example: The proactive monitoring of the impact of employment practices and implementation of remediation or programmatic efforts; the appropriate utilization of third party resources; strategic choices for restructuring, transfers, and redeployment; developing effective performance management programs; implications of governmental requirements such as 'Brexit' and Gender Pay Reporting.
• Exceptional problem-solving abilities. This includes the ability to anticipate issues, to create a range of potential solutions, and to influence key decision-makers to ensure GSK's interests are protected. The problems include the most significant people-related issues in the market (which are not already resolved through progressive escalation channels). The role must be able to distinguish the significant, strategic issues which emerge and anticipate the long-term impact of decisions.
• Senior Stakeholder management experience both within HR and the rest of the business. Regularly interacts with HRLT members and his/her leadership team as well as the country head and his/her team on weekly basis. Routinely interacts with other senior members of the business including SVPs and VPs of Pharma and Supply, counterparts in UK Legal, GEC leads and corporate investigation; and central HR stakeholders including HR Risk.
WHO ARE WE?
At GSK we are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. Our mission is inspiring and challenging - to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That's why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
You will join GSK's vision to do more, feel better and live longer:
Find out how you can do this .
WHO WILL I BE WORKING WITH?
Click here to meet your team.
HOW DO I DEVELOP MY CAREER?
To support you in achieving your role and career ambitions you'll be given the opportunity to:
• Play an important role in delivering our mission
• Be an essential part of diverse, global team
• Develop others as part of your own professional growth
You will also have regular personal development meetings with your line manager to give you the opportunity to create a fulfilling career at GSK.
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED?
The Total Reward Package offered is:
• Competitive Salary
• Competitive on Target Bonus
• 26-days paid holiday
• Personal Healthcare, with the option to purchase family cover
• GSK Pension
• Share & Save Schemes
• Total Reward Discounts