Growth & Transformation Programme Lead - Ass. Director/Manager (flexible working available)
As the Strategy team for Deloitte Tax & Legal we advise the firm’s leadership on its strategy and deliver related initiatives and projects, including new business opportunities, providing guidance and support to the Head of Tax & Legal for UK and North West Europe. In this role, you will make a real difference to the direction of the company you work for. With exposure to the inner workings of the firm and an influential network, you will have immediate responsibility and a unique opportunity to understand the internal mechanics of a leading global business.
The Growth and Transformation Programme office, which forms part of the Tax & Legal Strategy Team, is primarily responsible for supporting the Tax practice’s leadership with driving progress on strategy execution. The practice has an ambitious growth and transformation agenda underpinned by many strategic projects and initiatives. This team has responsibility for overseeing the development and implementation of this portfolio of projects and programmes, critical to strategy execution. This is a highly interesting time to be working in the Tax & Legal department as it implements its strategy and supports the integration of practices across North West Europe. It is a dynamic team and you will be exposed to both Tax & Legal specific and cross-functional projects that are of strategic importance to the firm.
This is an in-house role advising Deloitte’s leadership for Tax & Legal. You will work directly with partners and take responsibility for delivering projects or key aspects of larger initiatives. No two projects are the same so there are many learning opportunities and you will get to see the longer term impact of your work on the shape and success of the business.
As the Programme lead you will use your commercial awareness and professional expertise, along with leveraging the skills and expertise of others, to help execute strategic projects for Tax. You will be expected to lead the planning, developing and execution of key strategic priorities, initiatives and programmes of the Tax strategy, working closely with the strategy team and senior stakeholders to achieve the strategic objectives of the UK and NWE Tax practice. You will also be responsible for managing and developing others.
The role reports into the Strategy Leader on the Tax Executive and works closely with the Executive and senior Partners and Directors responsible for executing Tax strategy.
Provide overall direction and leadership for the Growth and Transformation programme and project delivery teams in scope of the role:
- Lead delivery of programme and project outcomes and benefits
- Lead the day-to-day programme, including set-up, project planning, management and delivery
- Implement effective programme management tools and methods, standardising PMO approaches and processes across projects
- Co-ordinate PMO activity across projects – manage projects and their interdependencies within the programme portfolio, and manage dependencies to and from and to the programme
- Lead on tracking and reporting of project milestones and progress including monitoring and risk management, benefits management and realisation
- Manage communication and engagement with programme stakeholders and report to all relevant governance bodies on progress of strategic initiatives
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships, and serve as the key contact for the programme for senior stakeholders across the Tax practice and enabling areas
- Describe the purpose and intended outcomes of the programme to a wide variety of stakeholders ensuring that key messages are understood and recognised
- Set up, lead and manage the teams working on the programme and all the projects
- Set up the new PMO for Tax Growth & Transformation Programme office, define the scope and structure and onboard new team members
- Provide management oversight to the PMO teams, ensuring all teams provide quality outputs to time, quality and cost, that enable programmes to achieve their outcomes
- Manage and allocate programme team resources, ensuring they are tasked effectively to deliver programme outcomes, and prioritised to the overall benefit of the portfolio
- Work closely with the Growth and Transformation change lead and the business change team to ensure the programme outcomes are delivered
- Build and sustain capacity and capability within the programme and project teams, and build capability within the wider business
- Provide leadership, guidance and support for delivery teams and actively support career development.
Your work, your choice
How long does impact take? How long is a piece of string? How many seconds does a solution contain? How can we possibly tell? After all, impact can be huge or small. Immediate or years in the making. At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. If the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated below, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
You will be based in a Deloitte London office, however occasional travel may be required to regional and international offices
Suggested work pattern: This is a full-time role, with a degree of flexibility, initially for 12 months. We do encourage careful consideration of agile ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients.
Your professional experience
- Experience of running large scale programmes and delivering numerous project initiatives
- Experience of building and leading transformation teams in a large and complex organisation
- Experience of influencing, negotiating with, and providing challenge to board-level stakeholders
- Experience of working effectively with risk within a complex change portfolio
- Experience of change management
- Experience and ability of leading teams (small or large)
- Experience of operating with senior level stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Recognised Programme/Project Management qualifications
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills required.
Your service line
Arguably the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
UK and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm on 1 June 2017. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but we require five leadership imperatives from all of our people:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and registered office at 2 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3BZ. Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NWE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”), its network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities.
Requisition code: 157656