GBI Communications & Government Affairs Director, Open to flexibility
GBI Communications & Government Affairs Director, Open to flexibility
We are searching for a GB&I Communications and Governments Affairs Director who can make a positive difference to the Communications & Government Affairs team and GSK Consumer Healthcare and who can inspire others to the same. If you have passion for brands, like challenges and vibrant and fast-paces environment this is the role for you! Come and join the team!
WHAT IS YOUR JOB PURPOSE?
GSK Consumer Healthcare aims to meet the everyday healthcare needs of consumers through building consumer preferred and expert recommended brands, differentiated by science and insight driven innovation. We have a portfolio of trusted brands including: Sensodyne®, Panadol®, Aquafresh®, Corsodyl®, Voltarol® and Nicotinell®.
In this role you will be responsible for building reputation of GSK Consumer Healthcare by delivering eternal communications and public affairs programs, managing issues and representing the company in trade associations. You will partner with HR to drive employee engagement and advise to brand teams on earned media campaigns. The role sits on EMEA Communications and Government Affairs (CGA) Leadership Team, as well as GB&I Leadership Team. This role will help achieve key business goals and requires strong business acumen and understanding of the commercial environment.
This role requires a high level of credibility, and very strong interpersonal skills in particular stakeholders management and influencing skills, as well as strategic thinking and strong prioritisation skills.
This is an exciting role providing a great opportunity for the right candidate who wants to work on a variety of communications and external affairs matters in a fast-paced environment.
WHAT ARE YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES?
Strategy and Planning:
- Develops annual strategy aligned with overall communications plans and business priorities
- Provides communications support and implements strategic decisions based on an expert understanding of the local external and internal environment;
- Is strategic partner to the business, provides GB&I Area GM and Leadership Team with senior-level counsel on communications and external affairs;
- Represents CGA on the GB&I Leadership Team;
External Communications (reputation building & earned media communications)
- Is the internal thought leader in developing company positions on key issues affecting the CH business and industry, and achieve senior management sign-off;
- Develops and executes public affairs and corporate communications plans, builds relations with key external stakeholders including media, trade associations, NGOs or authorities (if appropriate) to build reputation of GSK CH as one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies;
- Develops area narrative for the business (consistent with global narrative) and spokespeople strategy, profiles business leaders externally;
- Serves as advocate for business sustainability programs;
- Leads and manages high profile issues arising across the Area advising management team as appropriate, manages reputational risks and the communications strategy to effectively mitigate and / or manage these;
- Is responsible for providing crisis communications support in times of crisis;
- Partners with brand teams to maximise the performance of Consumer Healthcare brands through the brilliant delivery of integrated earned media campaigns, either in-house or via external agencies; runs measurement for these in line with marketing best practice;
- Builds capabilities of brand teams as earned media ambassadors (explains the value of earned media programs in building brand trust and consumer engagement);
- Understands, monitors and manages the external environment (proactive and reactive);
- Monitors external environment, identifies the key policy priorities and helps execute government affairs and advocacy agenda in full alignment with regional / Europe GA lead;
Internal Communications and Engagement
- Supports Area leadership in setting and embedding the vision for the business, communicating the direction and key business priorities (global/regional/area);
- Builds capabilities of the leaders as communicators (training, consultancy and advisory on channels and messaging);
- Drives performance through supporting leaders in engagement, attraction and retention by providing ongoing internal communications consultancy and enabling two way dialogue with employees;
- Serves as the voice of employees and is able to provide insights on employees feedback to the Area leadership team;
- Develops and implements internal engagement and communications strategy and plan;
- Accountable to Head of Communications & Government Affairs, Europe Middle East and Africa
- Member of the GB&I Leadership Team and EMEA CGA Leadership Team
- Maintain strong peer relationships with Communications and Government Affairs colleagues across the Region and the global team;
- Effective management of processes, budgets and programmes
INTERESTED IN JOINING THE TEAM?
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
Please ensure you apply before COB 13th Nov 2018 to ensure you're in the running!
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements, please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
- Senior communicator generalist with experience and good track record in external and internal communications;
- Exceptional business partnering and stakeholder management abilities with proven track record of influencing senior management at a strategic level;
- Ability to represent GSK externally in front of stakeholders, i.e. media, trade associations and others.
- Ability to work in matrixed environment
- Ability to provide advice and counsel on the management of communication initiatives to senior leaders in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to execute good judgement, cultural sensitivity and an ability to operate in a high-pressure environment
- Highly skilled in managing complex issues (external and internal), identifying areas of control, mobilising internal response and resolving effectively;
- Excellent verbal and writing communications skills with strong business acumen and understanding of the commercial environment
- Proven strategic thinking coupled with strong implementation skills and ability to prioritise
- Experience working in or for (agency) a global or major international FMCG/healthcare organisation
- Minimum degree level education
- See above
WHO ARE WE?
At GSK we are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. Our mission is inspiring and challenging - to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That's why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
You will join GSK's vision to do more, feel better and live longer:
Find out how you can do this .
WHO WILL I BE WORKING WITH?
Click here to meet your team.
HOW DO I DEVELOP MY CAREER?
To support you in achieving your role and career ambitions you'll be given the opportunity to:
- Play an important role in delivering our mission
- Be an essential part of diverse, global team
- Develop others as part of your own professional growth
You will also have regular personal development meetings with your line manager to give you the opportunity to create a fulfilling career at GSK.
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED?
The Total Reward Package offered is:
- Competitive Salary
- Competitive on Target Bonus
- 26-days paid holiday
- Personal Healthcare, with the option to purchase family cover
- GSK Pension
- Share & Save Schemes
- Total Reward Discounts
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.