Regional Medical Expert, Infectious Diseases, Open to flexibility
Regional Medical Expert, Infectious Diseases, Open to flexibility
To primarily engage externally in priority markets in the region and additionally support medical planning, internal training, regional content generation if needed, data gap analysis and oversight of evidence generation activities
The Regional Medical Expert (RME) reports to the Regional Medical Engagement Head.
- Responsible for providing high-value therapy area expertise to the internal organisation; leading external communications and engagement designed to educate; gain external expert insight and advocacy.
- Leads and directs compliant engagement with the healthcare profession, regulators and governmental agencies to ensure high-value discourse in line with our vision to be the preferred and trusted medical partner with patient safety and well-being at the heart of all we do
- Brings insight to the organisation by having an in-depth knowledge of the science and evidence for GSK medicines, devices and other treatment options within their therapy area expertise
- Co-leads with external partners the creation of a new and sustainable medical educational model
- Builds high performing medical networks across the assigned LOCs in collaboration with the Area Medical Director
- Assists LOC medical with product/TA training and development, ensures medical colleagues in assigned LOCs have a robust knowledge of clinical and market access evidence for new products, supporting their preparation for launch - using CEP-approved materials
- Resolves issues and removes barriers to successful implementation of global medical affairs strategies and tactical plans in all LOCs in the area.
- Proactively and compliantly engage with the healthcare profession, regulators, and government agencies to co-lead the field of medical education and provide high value scientific insight and understanding of GSK medicines, devices and treatments within area of expertise.
- Engages with government officials, reimbursement and supranational bodies in collaboration with Government Affairs and Public Policy to understand their needs regarding our products, to contribute to public health planning and to respond to specific requests for information such as pre-authorisation data that is not available in the public domain.
- Provides factual, balanced and scientifically rigorous medical and safety information regarding disease areas of mutual interest, GSK products in development, or new indications for authorised products in accordance with the strictest codes of practice, guidelines and laws
- Provides strategic medical input to medical development and commercialisation plans, global medical affairs and integrated evidence plans, clinical trial programmes and research studies.
- Coordinates the generation of medical insights across assigned LOCs and integrates/ prioritises these to inform global medical affairs/ evidence generation plans where appropriate (by exception).
- Facilitates the review and approval of prioritised LOC study concepts, as applicable.
- Supports identification of and relationship building with new and existing clinical study investigators.
- Presents at and participate in scientific stand-alone and sponsored meetings and congresses ensuring compliance with the strictest codes of practice, guidelines and laws pertaining in the country
- Supports the Scientific Engagement Strategy Manager by integrating strategic input in the external and internal medical communications plan and share responsibility for the Integrated Communication Plan.
- Works closely with the Strategic Capabilities Director and the Content and Training Managers to ensure that all external facing Medical Affairs roles involved in communicating asset level data are aligned with the medical communications strategy and have the appropriate approved material and training to perform their role effectively and compliantly.
- Fully understands and always meet the requirements in the GSK Standards for Scientific Engagement, External Interactions by Medical and R&D Staff and, where relevant to promotional activities, the GSK Code of Practice for Promotion and Customer Interactions.
- Fully understands and comply with local codes of practice, guidelines and laws to ensure the strictest requirements are met particularly with respect to delivery of promotional verses non-promotional information.
The Regional Medical Expert can be based anywhere across the emerging markets west (LATAM) or GSK's HQ in London
Closing date: Friday 16th November 2018
- Medical Degree with specialist qualification in Infectious Diseases
- Substantial clinical experience in managing patients with Infectious Diseases
- Impactful presentation and communication skills along with strong negotiation and influencing skills are required for key interactions with external experts and payers.
- PhD or equivalent
- Academic chair/Professor/department-leading scientist or healthcare professional in Infectious Diseases
- A main author in many thought leadership publications or a leading healthcare professional in a therapy area who has delivered leading presentations at national or international congresses
- Strong leadership skills as per GSK leadership expectations
- Broad drug development expertise with robust knowledge of regulatory/ market access and reimbursement requirements
- Demonstrated ability to assess evidence generation needs; review and develop Phase IIIb/IV protocols; and review ISSs for scientific merit
- Experience in Medical Affairs in the relevant therapeutic area(s), including launch/ post-launch support requirements and life cycle management
- Robust understanding of GSK internal policies/ SOPs/codes and external promotional codes of practice and regulations
- Track record of building strong internal and external networks
- Demonstrated ability to manage complexity and cultural diversity
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose: to help people do more, feel better, live longer. We have three global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies.
We are proud of the difference we make. GSK has ranked 1st in the Access to Medicines Index all five times since its launch in 2008 and FORTUNE Magazine ranked us #1 on its 'Change the World list' which recognises companies that have made significant progress in sustainable, scalable approaches to addressing societal problems as part of their company strategy.
The GSK business model and geographic regions have changed and, at the same time, the new Emerging Markets (EM) region has vertically integrated Commercial Excellence and multichannel strategy.
Medical Affairs is a critical bridge between R&D and the commercial organisation. Its role is to ensure Regional medical resources and activities are aligned and deployed to business purposes ensuring ultimately that our medicines reach the appropriate patients.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.